TEQs Report launch today

For discussion of Tradeable Energy Quotas (TEQs). See http://www.teqs.net for more.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

biffvernon

TEQs Report launch today

Post by biffvernon »

Photos from Beth Barton

Get your copy from http://teqs.net/report/

Caroline Lucas and Jeremy Leggett speaking, Shaun Chamberlain listening to right of speaker. David Fleming only on the screen.
PaulS

Post by PaulS »

Very good report

The press release starts well: "Fuel Rationing Will Be Needed Before 2020"

Would it not be great for the government to pick it up and run with it. Within couple of years we could be on a clear path to low carbon and low energy future.
What a shame, seemed quite promising, this human species.
Check out www.TransitionNC.org & www.CottageFarmOrganics.co.uk
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

One of our city councillors presented a proposal this week for variable per mile pricing on all Cambridgeshire's roads to fund infrastructure spending. To read the small print, most of the spending seemed to be aimed at upgrading and building more roads.

I tried to point out to her that in the face of peak oil this was counter productive. I was completely drowned out by the howls of rage from Jo Public when confronted with yet another tax on their infinite supply of cheap oil. She is in danger of being lynched...
DominicJ

Post by DominicJ »

Roads predate cars.
Well built roads are as useful to walkers and carter as they are cars.
I'm a realist, not a hippie
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

DominicJ wrote:Roads predate cars.
Well built roads are as useful to walkers and carter as they are cars.
That's just what I was thinking just now, when I walked down the main road with a constant stream of cars slowing down and pulling out to pass me
:D.
Last edited by JohnB on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

You really should stop walking in the middle of the road John! :D
Real money is gold and silver
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Video of Shaun chamberlain's introduction now available at: http://www.teqs.net/report
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

snow hope wrote:You really should stop walking in the middle of the road John! :D
There's nothing middle of the road about me :D.
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

More a Heavy Metal type, eh? :D
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Hey! Stop hi-jacking this important thread, children.

Message from Shaun:
Welcome to the latest TEQs update, and a special welcome to the many new subscribers who have joined us over the past few days.

It's been a hectic few days for everyone connected with the TEQs campaign. For me personally, yesterday started with a cab pulling up at my door at 5am to whisk me off to BBC White City for an interview on the "Wake Up To Money" show. Just what you need ahead of a big day!

The launch of the All Party Parliamentary Group on Peak Oil report into TEQs later that morning was a real pleasure. John Hemming MP, Caroline Lucas MP and Jeremy Leggett all spoke extremely well about TEQs, and the video footage of the event is being edited as I write. The first videos have just gone live on our website, and the rest should follow within 24 hours.

The media coverage of yesterday's launch has so far been exceptional, with coverage from the BBC, Bloomberg News, *Time *magazine, the *Financial Times
* and many others. It is still ongoing too, as I was interviewed by *The
Times* just a couple of hours ago. There have also been some excellent blogs commenting on the launch.

We are adding links to all the coverage to our media page as soon as we become aware of it, so if you would like to check it out (including my pre-6am interview!) head to: http://teqs.net/report/media-coverage-and-launch-event/

That is also where the videos of the event will continue to be placed.

A number of interesting propositions have been put to us over the past couple of days in terms of furthering the TEQs campaign. If these come to fruition and there is news to report, you will be the first to hear about it.

If you are keen to do more to push TEQs towards implementation, please check out our "Help make it happen" page at: http://teqs.net/report/support/

Also, positive comments left on blog posts, news articles etc are surprisingly influential, so do take a moment to comment as you browse the media coverage.

Many thanks for your support,
Shaun Chamberlin

--
TEQs Development Director
The Lean Economy Connection
www.teqs.net/report
(Dunno if Admin might like to move this thread to TEQs rather than leave it here in News?)
Shaun Chamberlin

Post by Shaun Chamberlin »

There's been a lot more media coverage over the few days since Biff's post too, from today's excellent article in The Sunday Times to some thoughtful blogs responding to the report. The list on the report website is continually updated with all the coverage, and these three would be my personal blog highlights to date:

Carbon and the common good: values in green policyClimate Safety, 19 January

Life, Liberty, And the Pursuit Of the kWh.plaid, 21 January

If Britain Starts Fuel Rationing, Could U.S. Be Next?Countercurrents, 22 January

I have an article on the launch going live on The Oil Drum in the coming week, and have a couple of other print press article requests that I'm trying to squeeze in.

Onwards and upwards - looks like the rest of the world is catching up with Powerswitch slowly :wink:

Shaun
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

TEQs report on The Oil Drum today:
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/7380
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

I used to be anti this kind of scheme as far too complicated and unrealistic and expensive and confusing.

Now I see it increasingly as our last best hope. Small that it is.

The thing to keep in mind is how difficult a sell it will be. If someone as eco and PO aware as me has only recently seen the light, it is going to be a very hard sell to the Top Gear crowd.

I think it is that this scheme would require us all to recognise and internalise the end of 'Business as Usual', and all that implies. Even I was not mentally prepared for that until recently.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

RalphW wrote:I used to be anti this kind of scheme as far too complicated and unrealistic and expensive and confusing.

Now I see it increasingly as our last best hope. Small that it is.

The thing to keep in mind is how difficult a sell it will be. If someone as eco and PO aware as me has only recently seen the light, it is going to be a very hard sell to the Top Gear crowd.

I think it is that this scheme would require us all to recognise and internalise the end of 'Business as Usual', and all that implies. Even I was not mentally prepared for that until recently.
For sure. I'd say it's best chance of implementation is after physical energy shortage. It can only work if the thing being rationed is accepted as being scarce, that certainly isn't the case with the majority today.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Looks like John Hemming will be on Radio 2 ~17:30 today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/bbc_radio_two