Interest on savings could go negative!

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Totally_Baffled

Interest on savings could go negative!

Post by Totally_Baffled »

TB

Peak oil? ahhh smeg..... :(
WolfattheDoor

Post by WolfattheDoor »

If savers lost money by putting it in a bank, then they wouldn't bother and the banks would have no money to lend out to mortgages which is what everybody says we need.

Besides, my building society, the Nationwide, has already said it is not going to reduce some mortgage rates to protect savers' rates.
www.wolfatthedoor.org.uk
Alerting the world to the dangers of peak oil
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

So the banks that have f****d up the system will expect the only responsible customers they have to help pay for their incompetence. That's clever. Under the mattress in my van doesn't seem like a very safe alternative though :(
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
revdode

Post by revdode »

I'm almost tempted to bring my savings across here. We still have decent savings rates but at 275 forints to the pound I'd lose a lot on transfer without charges. I'm also reasonably convinced that despite having a manufacturing base the economy in Hungary is more likely than that of the UK to fall apart.
skeptik

Post by skeptik »

WolfattheDoor wrote:If savers lost money by putting it in a bank, then they wouldn't bother and the banks would have no money to lend out to mortgages which is what everybody says we need.
Precisely. That's why it wont happen. Banks need depositors. All negative savings rates would do is provoke a run and a massive increase in the sales of safes and piggy banks.

I'd rather bury my money in the back garden than PAY a bank for the privilege of looking after it for me. Worked for Samuel Pepys. (Even if his dad did make a balls up of noting the burial location properly, resulting in the loss of a few coins)
Last edited by skeptik on Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the facts change, I change my opinion. What do you do, sir?"
John Maynard Keynes.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

It's interesting how the system works. If you want to borrow money from a bank you have to fill in forms, give proof of identity and have a squeeky clean record. But if the banks want to borrow your money you still have to fill in forms, give proof of identity and have a squeeky clean record!

We should be able to go to banks and building societies and negotiate a price and terms that suit us for them to have use of our money, especially in these difficult times. That's how a free market should work. Just like Tesco with the farmers. Oh I see now :evil:
John

skeptik

Post by skeptik »

JohnB wrote: But if the banks want to borrow your money you still have to fill in forms, give proof of identity and have a squeeky clean record!
Probably because *most* banks don't want to be hauled up as receivers of stolen goods, as accessories to terrorism, or on money laundering charges.

...remember BCCI ?
John Maynard Keynes.
DominicJ

Post by DominicJ »

Interest rates on US short term Tbills are already negative and foreigners got negative interest rates from the swiss banks in the 70's.
I'm a realist, not a hippie
skeptik

Post by skeptik »

DominicJ wrote:Interest rates on US short term Tbills are already negative and foreigners got negative interest rates from the swiss banks in the 70's.
Not for long though! Not a long term option unless you want to see your money evaporate. That this happens at all shows that there's a huge fear factor currently in operation - that some people would rather buy zero rated T-Bills than park their money in a bank.
John Maynard Keynes.
RevdTess

Post by RevdTess »

JohnB wrote:
We should be able to go to banks and building societies and negotiate a price and terms that suit us for them to have use of our money, especially in these difficult times. That's how a free market should work.
You can. See www.zopa.com Okay it's lending to other people rather than to banks, but you can set your own interest rate and decide whether to lend to prime or subprime folks.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Tess wrote:You can. See www.zopa.com Okay it's lending to other people rather than to banks, but you can set your own interest rate and decide whether to lend to prime or subprime folks.
Interesting. Unfortunately I need the cash available in case I suddenly find my dream home, so I suppose I'm stuck with what I'm doing at the moment.
John

DominicJ

Post by DominicJ »

Unfortunately I need the cash available in case I suddenly find my dream home, so I suppose I'm stuck with what I'm doing at the moment.
Which is one of the problems banks have, I wouldnt borrow money that must be paid back at a moments notice, but then we expect banks to do that.
Not for long though! Not a long term option unless you want to see your money evaporate.
Not for me to deceide, I just dont hold cash, but during the 70's, people were prepared to pay a swiss bank to hold their money
I'm a realist, not a hippie