Last Light TV Series

Discussion of books relating to oil, sustainability and everything else talked about here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

BritDownUnder

Last Light TV Series

Post by BritDownUnder »

I see that Last Light is being made as a TV miniseries.
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Re: Last Light TV Series

Post by adam2 »

Sounds interesting I wonder if it will be CLOSELY based on the novel.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

TV / film adaptations are never (well not since the '80s) closely based on the original novel.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

adam2 wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 04:57 Sounds interesting I wonder if it will be CLOSELY based on the novel.
I will be watching the torrent websites quite closely as it is on a streaming service that I don't subscribe to.

From looking at the trailer it implies the 'cause' of the problem is something to do with a change in the 'Chemistry' of oil and not what I think the novel had as being a shadowy organisation of wealthy families sabotaging the oil supply system. Funny that.
However I think it will be educational to some.

All will no doubt be revealed in time.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

BritDownUnder wrote: 07 Sep 2022, 11:41 ............... being a shadowy organisation of wealthy families sabotaging the oil supply system. Funny that.
Wouldn't go down well with potential sponsors, would it?
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

Seen trailer .. nothing like the book.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I think that this starts today, but only on a paid for TV streaming service, not on a free to receive broadcast.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

I binged the whole lot last night.

A very un-Scarrow ending with aerial shots of wind turbines and concentrating solar stations. I should add that I actually fell asleep during the last half of the last episode and missed little.
It features, a dreadlocked assassin with a silenced pistol - all the baddies had silenced pistols, dusky MI6 agents and kindly channel crossing refugees.
In my opinion it focussed too much on the family rather than the true implications of resource depletion and an oil shock.
A plot that was plausible if taking the law of unintended consequences a bit too far. The baddies were not a gathering of rich families but something else no doubt to keep the MGM shareholders happy.

I expect that Scarrow bit his lip on this production and collected the royalties and is now investing it in his doomstead bunker in New Zealand.
G'Day cobber!
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

FWIW I provided Alex Scarrow with maps/plans of an oil rig to help with his writing.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Well I just hope you had the owners/developer's permission to do such a thing.

No offshore oil rigs featured in this TV extravaganza. That part of the book, or its sequel - I don't recall - clearly did not get the permission of the MGM board.
G'Day cobber!