Should transport infrastructure be more weather resistant ?

Our transport is heavily oil-based. What are the alternatives?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

vtsnowedin wrote:I haven't observed much of a rise in prices over the last couple of years.
You in the US have been living in a fracked gas bubble!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

That's why I pay a lot for linseed oil paints. 10 re-coat, and even then it's just a coat of raw oil.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Lurkalot

Post by Lurkalot »

adam2 wrote: LAST NIGHT, no effective service was available for most of the evening rush hour due to signalling failure.
I have a friend who has worked for British rail / Railtrack or most of it's other guises for many years now in the signalling department and even though we rib him that signal failures are down to him spilling his tea on the board he does say that " signalling failure" is a common euphemism for "pikies pinching the cable again" .
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Signal failure is indeed often a euphemism for pikies stealing the cable again, but this is a reducing problem as more cable is fibre optic these days.

To return to last nights failure, I am not convinced that it was anything to do with "peak resources". It looks to me like a simple lack of basic competence. The cost in money or materials of planning for higher temperatures is trivial compared to all the money spent on other parts of the work.

Other countries have railways signalling that works in hot weather.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Little John

Post by Little John »

adam2 wrote:Signal failure is indeed often a euphemism for pikies stealing the cable again, but this is a reducing problem as more cable is fibre optic these days.

To return to last nights failure, I am not convinced that it was anything to do with "peak resources". It looks to me like a simple lack of basic competence. The cost in money or materials of planning for higher temperatures is trivial compared to all the money spent on other parts of the work.

Other countries have railways signalling that works in hot weather.
And why is there a lack of basic competence? Again, this is about maintaining profits in an ever tighter economic environment by cutting back on training and/or off-shoring work wherever possible.

The system has run out of fat and now muscle is being cut into.

And it's beginning to show.
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

The failure happened in the Hayes area around mid afternoon, and was to to do with at least multiple points losing detection, and other control failures. I assume they are not using windows 10.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

kenneal - lagger wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:I haven't observed much of a rise in prices over the last couple of years.
You in the US have been living in a fracked gas bubble!!
Does that balance out the drop in crude oil prices from over $100 to around $45? What percentage of the USA energy market is supplied by natural gas compared to the percentage supplied by coal or imported oil?