maybe it's time for...

Post your ideas to improve the forums here

Moderators: Peak Moderation, Site Administrators

Keela

Post by Keela »

Postie... I don't think anyone is grumbling about people like you that come here to chat...

We have lately had a BIG problem with spammers who do nothing but start new threads. Also a couple of folk who have appeared and told us nothing of themselves but asked some sort of question with out explaining why they are asking.... we suspected a class of students were all sent out ......!

So the forum is a bit cautious right now because of this. Genuine newbies are as always very welcome.

You appear genuine :) So WELCOME! 8)

Edit to add - You won't see the posts I'm referring to as a kind mod or admin has been in here and swept them all away.... ;) Hours of work I gather as the problem was huge. But now you can see our lovely friendly clean forum for what it is. ENJOY
postie

Post by postie »

Keela wrote:Postie... I don't think anyone is grumbling about people like you that come here to chat...
Good to hear.. :D

I get plagued with spammers on my site, but most of them get caught in spam-traps before being able to post. But spam-traps only work on 90% of the automated stuff. Human spammers are few and far between but they're nearly impossible to block. however, the newly updated version of phpbb3 allows for a usergroup called "newly registered users".. with limited posting privileges (no links/pics, topic starting etc until a set amount of posts have been reached) which deters spammers.
Learn to whittle now... we need a spaceship!
Eternal Sunshine

Post by Eternal Sunshine »

Hi Postie, and welcome. :D

It's been a strange couple of weeks on ths forum.... people aren't always as they seem. :roll:

There were suddenly a load of new members asking very simple questions, plus loads of spammers.

I'd be the first to say we need some new blood around here. What is your site? I like your signature btw... :lol:
Set The Fire To The Third Bar

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Eternal Sunshine wrote:I like your signature btw... :lol:
There are still trees and fish alive, and I already know X Factor is rubbish. I was forced to watch it once :lol:.
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Eternal Sunshine

Post by Eternal Sunshine »

I'm taking postie to mean us collectively. I've watched it a couple of times by mistake in my break at work.... :shock:
Set The Fire To The Third Bar

http://www.srtt.co.uk/
emordnilap
Location: Hou�sʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹ��llʎ uoʇ �oɹʇɥ ʇɥ� �ɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ �ʌ�u qoʇɥ�ɹ˙

Post by emordnilap »

Yes, postie is very welcome. I've liked his/her posts so far; there's also ming, a.stitch.in.time, Pepperman, PorcelainSugar, the coalthief, AutomaticEarth, Señor, robinhood as well as several others who I'm glad have piped up.

Come on lads, it's over to you.... :wink:
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker