General Election Dec 2019 thread

What can we do to change the minds of decision makers and people in general to actually do something about preparing for the forthcoming economic/energy crises (the ones after this one!)?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Post by ReserveGrowthRulz »

So, how is everyone with the election results?

Is this generally a good thing for folks here, or bad?
Little John

Post by Little John »

It's not over yet
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Little John wrote:It's not over yet
Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Little John

Post by Little John »

Johnson, if he so wished, could now spend the next 12 months, unfettered by fear of the DUP or ERG voting him down, watering down Brexit in the trade negotiations to the point of Brino.

So, I guess we will find out over the next few months if that happens. I hope to God not. Because, if he does, I think we will have reached a tipping point in this country. The working class have been betrayed by the party that was supposed to represent them. Consequently, many of them held their noses and lent their votes to the Tories for the first time in their lives for the sake of Brexit. If the Tories now piss all over their vote, there will be real hell to pay.

As for Scotland, there are more Scottish people who voted to remain in the Uk at the last Scottish Independence referendum than have voted for the SNP in this general election or, indeed, any other general election. Also, Johnson has made it quite clear he will not sanction any Scots independence referendum in this parliament. It's not going to happen irrespective of how much the SNP squeal.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Little John wrote:Johnson, if he so wished, could now spend the next 12 months, unfettered by fear of the DUP or ERG voting him down, watering down Brexit in the trade negotiations to the point of Brino.
He could.
Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stumuz1

Post by stumuz1 »

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:So, how is everyone with the election results?

Yes, very happy. It seems a huge cloud has been lifted and the sun has come out.
stumuz1

Post by stumuz1 »

Little John wrote:watering down Brexit in the trade negotiations to the point of Brino.
I hope not, the litmus test will be the ability to do trade deals with the rest of the world. Also, being able to do radical things with infrastructure, better things on the environment (public goods policy) and, more importantly, being the only large economy in Europe, with a large majority government who can make bold decisions/visions and actually carry them out without pandering to minority parties.
Little John wrote:
As for Scotland, there are more Scottish people who voted to remain in the Uk at the last Scottish Independence referendum than have voted for the SNP in this general election or, indeed, any other general election. Also, Johnson has made it quite clear he will not sanction any Scots independence referendum in this parliament. It's not going to happen irrespective of how much the SNP squeal.
Agree.

Public spending by UK gov:
Scotland £10,152 per head . England £8,529 per head.

'nuff said
Mark

Post by Mark »

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:I did hear the "Johnson won't let the Scots be free" angle. No way no how, was the presentation over here. Something wrong with the Scots choosing to not participate in lockstep with the Brits?
This shows your level of understanding....
ENGLAND (not Britain) has had a big swing to the Tories.....
SCOTLAND defo not in for the ride - troubles ahead...
N. IRELAND now has more Nationalist MPs than Unionist - more trouble
WALES - less so, but economic discontent still there.

One of the many outcomes of this election will be increased tensions inside the UK..., with the possible/probable outcome being Scottish Independence....
Vortex2

Post by Vortex2 »

I have to be happy with the result - I hadn't realised how tense I had become because of all this nonsense. I am now slowly relaxing! (The endless delays etc associated with BREXIT have certainly slowed down my business ... hopefully the economy will spring back to life now)

That said, despite being a paid-up member of the Conservative party, I did NOT vote for the Tories:

* I have met Boris in real life. He gives off slime-ball vibes ... I just couldn't vote for such a person.

* I am very very very annoyed with the way most Tory MPs have behaved over the last 4 years. I can't vote for such sleaze bags.

* The deal that Boris is offering the EU is essentially capitulation - it's not real BREXIT, so I can't vote for it.

Overall, the British people have been conned by the soft handed London-centric upper echelons- at the end of the day it is likely that a 'soft BREXIT' will be delivered.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Vortex2 wrote:

I have to be happy with the result - I hadn't realised how tense I had become because of all this nonsense. I am now slowly relaxing! (The endless delays etc associated with BREXIT have certainly slowed down my business ... hopefully the economy will spring back to life now)

That said, despite being a paid-up member of the Conservative party, I did NOT vote for the Tories:

* I have met Boris in real life. He gives off slime-ball vibes ... I just couldn't vote for such a person.

* I am very very very annoyed with the way most Tory MPs have behaved over the last 4 years. I can't vote for such sleaze bags.

* The deal that Boris is offering the EU is essentially capitulation - it's not real BREXIT, so I can't vote for it.

Overall, the British people have been conned by the soft handed London-centric upper echelons- at the end of the day it is likely that a 'soft BREXIT' will be delivered.
We come at this from different angles, but the conclusion is the same.
3+ years of chaos/stagnation, for what gain ?

Boris now has a free hand, so we'll find out what 'Brexit means Brexit' actually means.....
My take is that he'll try to get the 'best of all worlds', but as we're negotiating from a position of weakness.....,
Suspect we'll end up with a bum deal that will be worse than staying in or leaving completely...
We already know that Boris 'doesn't do detail'....

Time will tell, I guess, but he's got nowhere to hide now.
Little John

Post by Little John »

If Johnson betrays the vote given to him as a consequence of Brexit, blood will, finally, begin to be shed. To be honest, I think that is the most likely outcome heading this way.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Mark wrote:
ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:I did hear the "Johnson won't let the Scots be free" angle. No way no how, was the presentation over here. Something wrong with the Scots choosing to not participate in lockstep with the Brits?
It certainly might.
Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Vortex2 wrote: Overall, the British people have been conned by the soft handed London-centric upper echelons- at the end of the day it is likely that a 'soft BREXIT' will be delivered.
So your thought is that the guy......
Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Little John wrote:If Johnson betrays the vote given to him as a consequence of Brexit, blood will, finally, begin to be shed. To be honest, I think that is the most likely outcome heading this way.
So...the folks who voted for Brexit in the original Brexit really, REALLY meant it?
Last edited by ReserveGrowthRulz on Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark

Post by Mark »

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
Mark wrote:
It certainly might. But I purport to be no expert in UK politics.
The difference between England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Great Britain & United Kingdom is basic Geography - it's easy to Google.

As for how the politics will play out, who knows.....
Boris only has an English mandate though, which will mean trouble ahead....