Rolls Royce plans 16 mini-nuclear plants for UK

Is nuclear fission going to make a comeback and plug the gap in our energy needs? Will nuclear fusion ever become energetically viable?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: Rolls Royce plans 16 mini-nuclear plants for UK

Post by clv101 »

Just to cover all the based, China has approved construction of a small modular reactor.
The construction of a demonstration ACP100 small modular reactor (SMR) at Changjiang in Hainan province has been approved by China's National Development and Reform Commission. The multi-purpose 125 MWe pressurised water reactor (PWR) - also referred to as the Linglong One - is designed for electricity production, heating, steam production or seawater desalination.
https://world-nuclear-news.org/Articles ... R-approved
Mark

Post by Mark »

adam2 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:33 pm I have more faith in Rolls Royce than in anything chinese or anything made by Hitachi.
Sounds like the sort of thing Brits would say in the 70s about Japanese cars/motorbikes, and then buy one.....
Or what what was said about Korean shipbuilding.....
Or Chinese electronics.....

What little is left of UK manufacturing often isn't UK owned anyway.
We're no longer a big player in many fields, including nuclear.
Potemkin Villager

Post by Potemkin Villager »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 12:31 pm My cousin worked for Rolls on nuclear power plants decades ago before he went to South Africa so they do have experience. Maybe not as up to date as china or not in the same field but the do have some.
I believe that these reactors were for use in nuclear submarines where a RR
level of reliability was required, no doubt at an eye watering cost to the tax payer.
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor