Permaculture Section

Post your ideas to improve the forums here

Moderators: Peak Moderation, Site Administrators

Tarrel

Permaculture Section

Post by Tarrel »

Many PS members are actively growing stuff, and permaculture seems to crop up often as a response to PO in the various PO-aware blogs, forums, etc.

Would there be any benefit in starting a Permaculture section of the forum, to channel news, ideas, experiences, etc. of this topic into one place?
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
peaceful_life

Post by peaceful_life »

Absolutely.

The shifting of food production is pivotal to any kind of future and practitioners of permaculture have been quietly evolving things to the broad-scale, the sites and methods are demonstrable in their many terminologies such as, agroecology, regenag, agroforestry, ecoagriculture etc etc...

Food, being the energy base load of human existence and activity must surely have it's central place in discussion, especially when we consider it's contribution to our destructive entropic rip.
Tarrel

Post by Tarrel »

So, admins, can we have one? :)
peaceful_life

Post by peaceful_life »

An answer would be nice from the admins?
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I think it's a good idea and can create it.

I'm just wondering if we need it in addition to the existing 'Preparations' and 'Living in the Future'. Any thoughts on this? Probably simplest just to create the new section.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

How about just a "Gardening" section?
G'Day cobber!
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

Not far sighted enough. Permaculture is a wholistic approach, gardening generate the "striped lawn", "moss killer", "glyphosate", "pesticide" mentality.

Having said that, why be so parochial about it? There is already a good site www.permies.com. Get out into the wider world instead of starting another backwater forum.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
peaceful_life

Post by peaceful_life »

clv101 wrote:I think it's a good idea and can create it.

I'm just wondering if we need it in addition to the existing 'Preparations' and 'Living in the Future'. Any thoughts on this? Probably simplest just to create the new section.
Countries are now seeking the help of Holzer et al, this is big stuff and in truth the only hope we've actually got.
It more than deserves it's own arena for discussion.
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

peaceful_life wrote:

Countries are now seeking the help of Holzer et al, this is big stuff and in truth the only hope we've actually got.
Then look at a big arena www.permies.com rather than inhabit a village hall.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

woodburner wrote:Not far sighted enough. Permaculture is a wholistic approach, gardening generate the "striped lawn", "moss killer", "glyphosate", "pesticide" mentality.

Having said that, why be so parochial about it? There is already a good site www.permies.com. Get out into the wider world instead of starting another backwater forum.
There's value in all sizes of forum - PS has the advantage that quite a few of us actually know each other in real life, and the small size means many of us know more of the each members back story than just what's written in the post.

It would be a sad state of affairs if there were only one forum on the 'net for any given topic.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

woodburner wrote:Then look at a big arena www.permies.com rather than inhabit a village hall.
It's US-centric. Not a complaint, just a comment. Loads of stuff will be appropriate just as loads of stuff will be inappropriate. Yes, there's a Europe section; there again, PS has an International section. :lol:

So: have a permaculture section here and visit other sites. Nowt wrong wi' that, afaics.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
extractorfan

Post by extractorfan »

BritDownUnder wrote:How about just a "Gardening" section?
A more general gardening section would generate more topics and make for a more interesting sub forum.

I do erm....ordinary as organic as possible gardening with a hint of permaculture, simply because I've been more influenced by john Seymore than any other gardening writer (I know he didn't just write about gardening but you know what I mean).
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

emordnilap wrote:
woodburner wrote:Then look at a big arena www.permies.com rather than inhabit a village hall.
It's US-centric.
Yep...

http://www.permies.com/t/30916/hunting- ... e-yr-shoot
Best rifle for 7yr old to shoot?
:roll:
peaceful_life

Post by peaceful_life »

woodburner wrote:
peaceful_life wrote:

Then look at a big arena www.permies.com rather than inhabit a village hall.
Ahh, Wheatons empire, I'll pass.

Far better.
http://permaculturenews.org/
Although many seem to be shunning Holzer, I hear he's quite an uncompromising character.

I just think for a forum like this would benefit from having it's own permaculture section.
Tarrel

Post by Tarrel »

Well, why not set it up? If nobody uses it, then it can always be closed.

For me, this is a huge area of learning and exploration. I'm beginning to discover the various permaculture resources online, but I suspect that a Permaculture section on here would attract links to further additional sites and articles that other more widely-read forum members are seeing.