One Second After - William R. Forstchen

Discussion of books relating to oil, sustainability and everything else talked about here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

BritDownUnder

Re: One Second After - William R. Forstchen

Post by BritDownUnder »

Catweazle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 am I reckon my radios inside the filing cabinet inside the shipping container will survive, but perhaps I'll put them in a biscuit tin just to be sure.
Don't forget wrapping it in tinfoil, to be sure to be sure to be sure...
G'Day cobber!
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Catweazle wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:17 am I reckon my radios inside the filing cabinet inside the shipping container will survive, but perhaps I'll put them in a biscuit tin just to be sure.
I would to be sure.
A shipping container should be reasonably EMP resistant, provided that the doors are shut at the time of the attack. Unfortunately if a shipping container is used for storage and perhaps also as a workshop there is a significant chance that the doors will be open at the moment of attack.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

In the run up to Christmas, metal biscuit tins containing very unhealthy and fattening foods have made an appearance in the shops over here and several of varying shapes and sizes have been bought. Now just to eat the contents and use them. An old metal toolbox was found on the side of the road in the run up to the local council's large items waste collection week.
G'Day cobber!
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

I think an absolute minimum prep against EMP would be a small LW / FM radio with spare batteries. Preferably pre-tuned to Radio 4, you don't want to be trying to tune it if you don't know whether the radio station is broadcasting. + A small LED torch, should take the same batteries.

Definitely not a DAB radio, they're too battery hungry. If there is room in your biscuit tin a solar powered battery charger and some panasonic eneloop batteries would be good. Some modern re-chargeable batteries will hold 75% of their charge for 10 years, incredibly low leakage.

Stage 2 prep, for me, would be a pair of simple two-way radios by Motorola or similar. These simple, reliable 8 channel radios can be operated by a 4 yr old, as proven this summer by my grandkids. I also have a pair of Baofeng radios, very capable but far too complicated to pull from a box after 10 years and use. Keep it simple.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Another two (three draw this time) filing cabinets have been acquired. Some rust on them but not much.
G'Day cobber!