Irish Subway buns?

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

vtsnowedin

Re: Irish Subway buns?

Post by vtsnowedin »

Little John wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote: The sugar addicts have a choice after all.
Exactly. It is a free country and no one is forced to consume any product addictive or not. In fact it is when the government tries to be a Nanny and ban some addictive consumption like marijuana where trouble arises.
On the other hand I do think the tobacco companies should be on the hook for the cost of treating the lung cancer and heart disease their products lead to.
Perhaps a registration of customers and $1.00 a pack set aside through the customers consuming lifetime held in their name.
So, remind me of the different criteria you are employing between taxing tobacco companies for the damage their product does and taxing companies the load up their product with sugar with the damage their product does?
The criteria would be the addictivness of nicotine and the withdrawal symptoms users suffer when they attempt to quit vs that actual food value of sugar where nicotine servers no purpose at all other then to create the addiction.
Or you can use the 20% of deaths in America (480,000/yr.) that are caused by smoking while less then 3% are caused by diabetes which is often caused by obesity.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

Thanks LJ, that's good info.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

vtsnowedin wrote:....................
The criteria would be the addictivness of nicotine and the withdrawal symptoms users suffer when they attempt to quit vs that actual food value of sugar where nicotine servers no purpose at all other then to create the addiction.
Or you can use the 20% of deaths in America (480,000/yr.) that are caused by smoking while less then 3% are caused by diabetes which is often caused by obesity.
It's not just the deaths caused by diabetes it's the cost of treatment and the other illnesses, such as heart problems and knee and hip problems which add to the cost of sugar addiction. In the US those costs are born by the addict, although there are knock on costs to their employer through absenteeism and loss of productivity, but in the UK those costs fall to the taxpayer in general.

There is little food value in refined sugar that can't be obtained from other foods. Sugar burns off very quickly and leads to a craving for more sugar very quickly while unrefined carbs are released more slowly resulting in no high and a steady release of energy through the day.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

kenneal - lagger wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:....................
It's not just the deaths caused by diabetes it's the cost of treatment and the other illnesses, such as heart problems and knee and hip problems which add to the cost of sugar addiction. In the US those costs are born by the addict, although there are knock on costs to their employer through absenteeism and loss of productivity, but in the UK those costs fall to the taxpayer in general.

There is little food value in refined sugar that can't be obtained from other foods. Sugar burns off very quickly and leads to a craving for more sugar very quickly while unrefined carbs are released more slowly resulting in no high and a steady release of energy through the day.
Being borderline type two diabetic I have to be as concerned about the carbs as I do about the sugars. I consume no soft drinks and add no sugar to any foods and avoid processed prepackaged foods. My biggest enemy is the carbs in Beer. :oops:
Little John

Post by Little John »

Catweazle wrote:Thanks LJ, that's good info.
Another thing I recently worked out how to make up is wholemeal flour, including wholemeal bread flour. To make up 1kg of wholemeal flour:

plain white flour (wheat endosperm) - 830 grams
wheat bran - 140 grams
wheat germ - 30 grams

To turn the above 1kg of wholemeal flour into wholemeal bread flour, add 6 teaspoons of vital wheat gluten to it.

It's a good idea to blitz the bran and germ up in a blender to reduce the size of any flakes before adding. Otherwise, their sharp edges may puncture the gluten membranes during baking and so cause the rise to fail as a consequence of the carbon dioxide produced by the yeast escaping. Though, I have heard some folks just soak the bran and germ before adding.

It bakes up just like store bought wholemeal bread flour