CBI on the future of domestic heating

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

BritDownUnder wrote: I am looking for a house out in the country and even had a look at one last week on two acres but the wife complained of the smell of cows and the sellers are wanting a bit too much for it.

At 1m52s of the video you can see the vapour rising from the cooling towers to two large coal power stations to the North of the town. One thing I was disappointed in was the seeming lack of solar on many rooftops. I am doing something to amend that by replacing my old system with a double the size upgrade in a few weeks. .
Why upgrade if you plan to sell shortly? Save the funds to apply to the new home when you find it.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

vtsnowedin wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote: I am looking for a house out in the country and even had a look at one last week on two acres but the wife complained of the smell of cows and the sellers are wanting a bit too much for it.

At 1m52s of the video you can see the vapour rising from the cooling towers to two large coal power stations to the North of the town. One thing I was disappointed in was the seeming lack of solar on many rooftops. I am doing something to amend that by replacing my old system with a double the size upgrade in a few weeks. .
Why upgrade if you plan to sell shortly? Save the funds to apply to the new home when you find it.
I will probably keep the old house for a while. The inverter is broken and the system has illegal wiring so something needs to be done. It is close to the town centre and may make a good rental for carless tenants who are averse to electricity bills. I think the cost will be a tax write off as well (assuming the law does not change) and having basically free power may be an incentive to a would be tenant. I have rented out houses before and happy tenants are good tenants. It is also a large old house that is quite difficult to heat.
G'Day cobber!
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

BritDownUnder wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

I will probably keep the old house for a while. The inverter is broken and the system has illegal wiring so something needs to be done. It is close to the town centre and may make a good rental for carless tenants who are averse to electricity bills. I think the cost will be a tax write off as well (assuming the law does not change) and having basically free power may be an incentive to a would be tenant. I have rented out houses before and happy tenants are good tenants. It is also a large old house that is quite difficult to heat.
OK Carry on.
If I wanted to rent out my house I would have to do several thousand worth of upgrades to get it up to the States rental code. The heating system being the biggest deficit as it consists of me, my self, and I, feeding wood into an antique wood furnace with no duct system to deliver the heat other then the stair wells. HRH has been nagging me to install something more modern and automatic so we can leave in the winter for extended Grandchild visits but we disagree on it's type and fuel.