UN predicts most severe food crisis for over 50 years.

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

This crisis isn't about trade deals or the lack thereof. It's about chronic supply chain disruption and nobody capable of tackling the problem at the systemic level (or willing to).
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

The next one will be if we don't act now and write to our MPs about it the Trade and Agriculture Bills. Anyone else written? I doubt it. Wasting too much time here to find time to dash off a quick email to an MP. And people here question our democracy when they don't take part in it!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

kenneal - lagger wrote:The next one will be if we don't act now and write to our MPs about it the Trade and Agriculture Bills. Anyone else written? I doubt it. Wasting too much time here to find time to dash off a quick email to an MP. And people here question our democracy when they don't take part in it!!
I don't think they take any notice.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

They definitely won't if you don't write and that is the reason why many of them do what the lobbyists want rather than what the people want. People who don't write are to blame for many of the ills associated with our parliamentary system. You've given parliament over to industry lobbyists.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

UndercoverElephant wrote:This crisis isn't about trade deals or the lack thereof. It's about chronic supply chain disruption and nobody capable of tackling the problem at the systemic level (or willing to).
I agree.
The future choice may be between "food" or "not food" rather than arguing over chlorinated or not chlorinated chicken.

I see no near term food shortages in the UK, supermarket stock levels are recovering. In the medium or longer term I consider the situation to be concerning.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
careful_eugene

Post by careful_eugene »

Very interesting program on the radio Saturday morning about seeds and how demand leapt at the same time as there was panic buying at the supermarkets.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000k1c8
Paid up member of the Petite bourgeoisie
Little John

Post by Little John »

kenneal - lagger wrote:They definitely won't if you don't write and that is the reason why many of them do what the lobbyists want rather than what the people want. People who don't write are to blame for many of the ills associated with our parliamentary system. You've given parliament over to industry lobbyists.
They definitely wont if you do write, or march or even riot. To the extent that, occasionally, it appears like they do is only because there was a temporary aliment of interests between those of the political class and ruling class they serve and the letter writers, marcher or rioters.

That's all.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

careful_eugene wrote:Very interesting program on the radio Saturday morning about seeds and how demand leapt at the same time as there was panic buying at the supermarkets.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000k1c8
Same here in the US. All the seed racks have been picked clean of anything that does well here.