Brexit process

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Stumuz2

Re: Brexit process

Post by Stumuz2 »

clv101 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:29 pm
No deal was never, ever on the table. It was about as realistic a threat as launching a nuclear missile at Brussels.
Completely disagree.

The EU single market and customs union are all about protectionism. They do not like to compete. The SM and CU are the reasons there is starvation in Africa/Middle east. Highly subsidised EU farmers could not compete with world trade prices. Highly subsidised French industry could not compete with world trade price or practice. They have only one defence. Keep world trade out.

If the UK had reverted to WTO rules, the UK consumer would have had an immediate price cut on most consumer goods. The EU would have had a choice, either take a massive hit to profits and corporate earnings by matching the price, or lose its biggest customer and take a massive hit to profits and corporate earnings.

To the EU, free trade is kryptonite, it is the subject that shall not be named, it's anathema.

No deal was a real and potent existential threat to EU philosophy.

I would have preferred no deal. It would end crony corporatism, a smidgen of capitalism with the most efficient distribution of resources would have been a tonic.
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

Just having my daily peruse around the worlds newspapers, start with Le monde (english version) to ascertain the French are still, the French. The Irish Times, to confirm that nearly 100 years after de facto independence, they still blame the Brits for most things, New York times to confirm how self obsessed our American friends are, and thanks to google translate Bild, Germany's biggest selling newspaper, to remind me how boring federal politics is.

But this caught my eye from Bild,

“Just because someone has tangled hair, is prone to bursting into Latin and has a somewhat chaotic private life doesn’t mean they cannot be a statesman of historic importance,”
“Europeans of all stripes now know Johnson as the man who stood up to the behemoth that is the European bloc and, against all the odds, won the day for his country.”

This is the first time in 4 years i have read something like this.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

Stumuz2 wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:25 am Just having my daily peruse around the worlds newspapers, start with Le monde (english version) to ascertain the French are still, the French. The Irish Times, to confirm that nearly 100 years after de facto independence, they still blame the Brits for most things, New York times to confirm how self obsessed our American friends are, and thanks to google translate Bild, Germany's biggest selling newspaper, to remind me how boring federal politics is.

But this caught my eye from Bild,

“Just because someone has tangled hair, is prone to bursting into Latin and has a somewhat chaotic private life doesn’t mean they cannot be a statesman of historic importance,”
“Europeans of all stripes now know Johnson as the man who stood up to the behemoth that is the European bloc and, against all the odds, won the day for his country.”

This is the first time in 4 years i have read something like this.
By the same journalist:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -done.html
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

I know a lot of people hate him but Gove sums things up nicely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=031OqjTkcnc
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Stumuz2 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:37 pm..............The EU talks a good job on the environment, seldom walks the walk.
I heartily agree with that.
It will take many years before any EU countries aspire to become the 'Saudi arabia of wind'
I think the Danes might disagree with that statement. Don't they own Vestas who make an awful lot of wind turbines used in the UK, albeit in the UK.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Stumuz2

Post by Stumuz2 »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:44 pm
I think the Danes might disagree with that statement. Don't they own Vestas who make an awful lot of wind turbines used in the UK, albeit in the UK.
Yes. They are a driving force in renewables. But they are still 30% coal, which having seen the light first in regards to wind power, is a bit surprising.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

The Danes didn't have the gas for a "dash for gas" so have stayed with what they had before - coal. Their 30% coal is no worse than our what ever percentage of gas: it's their legacy fuel as gas is ours.

They have made a huge effort to go for wind power and we have not. If we had we would have had our own wind industry instead of tagging along on the coat tails of the Danes. I blame the tossers in the City who are more interested in making money from money than they are in investing in industry and especially future industry.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

The "Brexit process" is now concluded, and we left the EU at 23-00 UK time.
This thread is now therefore closed.

Any signed in member may of course start a new thread about the "post Brexit world", if they so wish.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"