Cameron- sleeping with the fishes?

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

mr brightside

Cameron- sleeping with the fishes?

Post by mr brightside »

Can the UK really get out of paying the EU heavies their £1.7BN?
Persistence of habitat, is the fundamental basis of persistence of a species.
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

Shall we all ask the Inland Revenue whether we might be excused our tax bill? Always good to follow the Prime Minister's example, eh?
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

It's peanuts compared to the cost of Hinkley C, so I can't see why he's whingeing. It would appear (judging from the Beeb story) that (a) it's because we've owed the dosh, cumulatively, for ages because we haven't included a chunk of our GDP, and (b) we should try legalising prostitution!
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

I do rather like the idea of Cammo sleeping with the fishes, though. More pasta anyone?
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

I don't think that the EU really expect to get the full £1.7 billion.
I suspect that this is an opening claim and that following talks that we will pay perhaps about half of the sum initially demanded.

This will allow the EU to say how generous they have been in helping us out, and allow the PM to say that he has saved the taxpayer nearly a billion pounds and therefore deserves to be re elected.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Little John

Post by Little John »

From my initial understanding, the money due is based on a calculation that was previously agreed upon by no less than Osbourne himself. That being that case, neither he nor Cameron can winge with any validity about it now, irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the underlying agreement. The timing of the announcement this money is suddenly due does seem, on the face, of it, to be somewhat suspicious given the anti-EU rumblings happening here at the moment,. However, I don't know enough about EU arrangements on such matters to know whether or not that suspicion has any basis.

In any event, if you listen to Cameron's words very carefully, he has assiduously avoided stating that the UK wont pay it. Rather, he is making a meal about the shortness of notice given to pay. Again, though, I don't know whether or not the notice is short. Surely, the UK government would have known this was coming up irrespective of the current public announcements. It seems inconceivable that they would not have had prior knowledge.

Then again, maybe this really is the EU telling the UK to shit or get off the pot.
marknorthfield

Post by marknorthfield »

They knew, of course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29753529
Now to be absolutely clear, none of this is a surprise to the Treasury or chancellor. British officials have known for some time that the inflammatory demand from Brussels was coming.

What did catch them by surprise was what it sees as a deliberate leak by EU officials of the news last night - which they see as an attempt to embarrass David Cameron, as he meets other EU leaders to discuss, among other things, his controversial hopes of being able to restrict migration of EU nationals to Britain.
mr brightside

Post by mr brightside »

There's all sorts of opinion hitting the news. A tory euro sceptic was saying there is a precedent that has been set for not paying up. Whatever happens it doesn't seem as though defaulting on the debt completely is possible, as someone has already mentioned.
Persistence of habitat, is the fundamental basis of persistence of a species.