Oil and Population

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

User avatar
Mr. Fox
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

Post by Mr. Fox »

stevecook172001 wrote:
Mr. Fox wrote:Isn't being the 'greenest driver' rather like being the 'cuddliest rapist'?
Yes because being a "greener" driver simply diminishes the damage, but does not stop it.

No, because a rapist has a choice whereas, for all practical purposes, an average person wishing to function in any meaningful way in a modern Western industrial society, insofar as driving is concerned, has little choice.
Bollocks. We all have a choice. It might not be convenient to stop driving, but it can be done. If your lifestyle demands that you drive, change your lifestyle.

It sometimes amuses me watching the mental gymnastics people engage in to justify their own participation in the ongoing destruction of the planet. :lol:

I also love the way all these calculations omit all the 'externalities'. It might 'cost' you only 29p to drive a mile, but it costs some poor f*cker on a low-lying coral atoll their whole country, maybe their life.

Drive if you feel you must, but STFU about how 'green' you are whilst doing it. The rank hypocrisy makes me want to puke all over my keyboard.
User avatar
PS_RalphW
Posts: 5913
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Cambridge

Post by PS_RalphW »

Our car returns about 70 mpg (diesel) so fuel costs are just over half.
Tax is zero.
Insurance is cheap £250
Other costs average. Depreciation about £1500 a year.
Tires, servicing, MOT, maybe £500 year
Fuel £ 900

31p / mile
User avatar
Mr. Fox
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

Post by Mr. Fox »

Hang on...

Image Image

:shock:
User avatar
frank_begbie
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Cheshire

Post by frank_begbie »

The Luddite's were right.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

Mr. Fox wrote:
stevecook172001 wrote:
Mr. Fox wrote:Isn't being the 'greenest driver' rather like being the 'cuddliest rapist'?
Yes because being a "greener" driver simply diminishes the damage, but does not stop it.

No, because a rapist has a choice whereas, for all practical purposes, an average person wishing to function in any meaningful way in a modern Western industrial society, insofar as driving is concerned, has little choice.
Bollocks. We all have a choice. It might not be convenient to stop driving, but it can be done. If your lifestyle demands that you drive, change your lifestyle.

It sometimes amuses me watching the mental gymnastics people engage in to justify their own participation in the ongoing destruction of the planet. :lol:

I also love the way all these calculations omit all the 'externalities'. It might 'cost' you only 29p to drive a mile, but it costs some poor f*cker on a low-lying coral atoll their whole country, maybe their life.

Drive if you feel you must, but STFU about how 'green' you are whilst doing it. The rank hypocrisy makes me want to puke all over my keyboard.
Shut the F--k up yourself you f***ing pompous arsehole. I am well aware of the damage my very existence, alongside the 7 odd billion other people, is doing to this planet.
Last edited by Little John on Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

frank_begbie wrote:The Luddite's were right.
Yes, they were.
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

vtsnowedin wrote: Not bad at todays prices. Best rig I ever owned costwise was a 2WD chevy pickup I bought new in 1993. I drove it 270,00 miles for a final all cost considered price of 11 cents US$ per mile but gas was only $1.20/ gallon back then.
That's good going V
User avatar
PS_RalphW
Posts: 5913
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Cambridge

Post by PS_RalphW »

Of course I will cycling home on my electric bike at a fuel cost of about

£0.001 /mile.

Battery is good for 1,000 recharges and cost £350. It needs recharging
every 40 miles.

£0.01 /mile

Bike will need new tires, chain, lights, saddle, and handle grips at intervals.
Say, £50 /year for 2000 miles /year
£0.025 / mile
The bike overall will probably last 20 years (solid German engineering, aluminum frame) and cost £1700
£0.0425 / mile

I probably need at least 1 extra pair of trousers each year
to cover wear and tear.

£0.02 / mile
Total cost of about

9p a mile. It adds up...
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

PS_RalphW wrote:Our car returns about 70 mpg (diesel) so fuel costs are just over half.
Tax is zero.
Insurance is cheap £250
Other costs average. Depreciation about £1500 a year.
Tires, servicing, MOT, maybe £500 year
Fuel £ 900

31p / mile
Not bad going Ralph. Though, I would be interested to know what the expected lifespan of these vehicles is as that would feed into the total carbon footprint/time when petrol consumption, production and recycling are all summed
Last edited by Little John on Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
RenewableCandy
Posts: 12679
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:13 pm
Location: York

Post by RenewableCandy »

I don't drive but I admit that I'd find it impossible to function in most jobs or locales other than what I do and where I live. In fact it could be argued that, since I don't have a job, in some ways I'm not fully functioning at all.
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
User avatar
Mr. Fox
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

Post by Mr. Fox »

stevecook172001 wrote:Shut the **** up yourself you ******* pompous arsehole.
:lol: From you, Jeremy, I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Being aware of the damage you're doing and actually taking steps to stop doing it are two completely different things.

Sure, giving up driving can be a massive pain at first, as can any big change. But it can also help you 'function' in as much a 'meaningful way' as driving ever could, if not more so. :)
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

Mr. Fox wrote:
stevecook172001 wrote:Shut the **** up yourself you ******* pompous arsehole.
:lol: From you, Jeremy, I'll take that as a compliment. ;)

Being aware of the damage you're doing and actually taking steps to stop doing it are two completely different things.

Sure, giving up driving can be a massive pain at first, as can any big change. But it can also help you 'function' in as much a 'meaningful way' as driving ever could, if not more so. :)
What a pathetic little person you are. If you were so upset about my criticism of Greer, you could just have been honest enough to have come out and said it instead of this drivel.
User avatar
Mean Mr Mustard
Posts: 1555
Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:14 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

PS_RalphW wrote:Of course I will cycling home on my electric bike at a fuel cost of about

£0.001 /mile.

Battery is good for 1,000 recharges and cost £350. It needs recharging
every 40 miles.

£0.01 /mile

Bike will need new tires, chain, lights, saddle, and handle grips at intervals.
Say, £50 /year for 2000 miles /year
£0.025 / mile
The bike overall will probably last 20 years (solid German engineering, aluminum frame) and cost £1700
£0.0425 / mile

I probably need at least 1 extra pair of trousers each year
to cover wear and tear.

£0.02 / mile
Total cost of about

9p a mile. It adds up...
You forgot the extra mars bars, Ralph...
1855 Advertisement for Kier's Rock Oil -
"Hurry, before this wonderful product is depleted from Nature’s laboratory."

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
Little John
Posts: 8776
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

RenewableCandy wrote:I don't drive but I admit that I'd find it impossible to function in most jobs or locales other than what I do and where I live. In fact it could be argued that, since I don't have a job, in some ways I'm not fully functioning at all.
It is difficult Candy. I am a supply teacher. I do supply because I found full time teaching too stressful after a decade of being HoD. Trouble is, schools are pulling in their horns and using in-situ teachers' free periods far more often these days instead of calling in supply teachers. This means I now have to travel a lot further to keep working.
User avatar
Mr. Fox
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

Post by Mr. Fox »

stevecook172001 wrote:What a pathetic little person you are. If you were so upset about my criticism of Greer, you could just have been honest enough to have come out and said it instead of this drivel.
:lol: I reckon it's all the driving that's making you such an angry little bunny, Jezza.

I care not a fig what Greer thinks about social structures, and even less about what you think about what he thinks, tbh. Neither have much bearing on the subject of diminishing returns on increased social complexity/intermediation. :)

Did you read Tainter? (<-- that's a video link, so you don't have to. ;) )
Post Reply