Current Gold Price

Discussion of the latest Peak Oil news (please also check the Website News area below)

Moderator: Peak Moderation

raspberry-blower

Post by raspberry-blower »

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

I bet Deutsche Bank settled at a discount for helping with evidence in the prosecution of the others. Honour among thieves? Not among banking thieves anyway!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Gold price, in sterling, is now higher than it's been in over 3 years.
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

Gold at $1315 and Silver at $17.76

Hope some of you made a few bob over the last couple of weeks. :)

The bull market is well and truly back and I expect a pull back shortly before a breakout and substantial rise over the next couple of months. As always time will tell. :P
Real money is gold and silver
Lord Beria3

Post by Lord Beria3 »

Nice.

My gold and silver portfolio is finally doing better!
Peace always has been and always will be an intermittent flash of light in a dark history of warfare, violence, and destruction
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

Both PMs have risen nicely over the last 7 days.
Gold now at $1342 +2%
Silver now at £19.76 +11%

I expect the coming week to see more gains in both metals. I will report back next Saturday. :-)

With serious bank issues in other EU countries and an unstable situation in money markets currently, why would you not put a few bob in PMs? :shock: :idea: :arrow:

PS. I advise buying in Sterling Funds not USD$ - for obvious reasons.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

snow hope wrote:Both PMs have risen nicely over the last 7 days.
Gold now at $1342 +2%
Silver now at £19.76 +11%

I expect the coming week to see more gains in both metals. I will report back next Saturday. :-)

With serious bank issues in other EU countries and an unstable situation in money markets currently, why would you not put a few bob in PMs? :shock: :idea: :arrow:

PS. I advise buying in Sterling Funds not USD$ - for obvious reasons.
One answer to your question would be the commissions charged on relatively small purchases both when you buy it and again when you sell it.
It used to be quite a spread here in the US (I haven't bothered to check lately) and I have no idea what dealers charge in London.
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

Gold and Silver fell through the floor yesterday. No major reasons why - other than a lot of selling due to stop losses in my opinion. I expect them both to shoot right up by the end of the week. If the US non-farm payroll figures disappoint on Friday, they could end the week very nicely. :-)

This means that today it is an excellent time to buy either physical metal or paper investments. Think about it. :-)

Currently Gold is at $1272/oz and Silver at $17.95/oz
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

The world's in a state of chassis. Not long to go now.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

emordnilap wrote:The world's in a state of chassis. Not long to go now.
Just what is a "state of chassis"? :)
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Chaos I suspect was meant, typo followed by auto correct spell check.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

adam2 wrote:Chaos I suspect was meant, typo followed by auto correct spell check.

No doubt but it did make me chuckle.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

snow hope wrote:Gold and Silver fell through the floor yesterday. No major reasons why - other than a lot of selling due to stop losses in my opinion. I expect them both to shoot right up by the end of the week. If the US non-farm payroll figures disappoint on Friday, they could end the week very nicely. :-)

This means that today it is an excellent time to buy either physical metal or paper investments. Think about it. :-)

Currently Gold is at $1272/oz and Silver at $17.95/oz
Sterling price of gold is now almost back up to its 2008 high, mainly due to the collapse in the value of sterling.
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

Whenever I consider buying any gold or silver I ask myself Why if paper currency will soon be useless do the dealers sell me their gold for those paper dollars?
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

vtsnowedin wrote:Whenever I consider buying any gold or silver I ask myself Why if paper currency will soon be useless do the dealers sell me their gold for those paper dollars?
If they believed that paper money would SOON be useless, then I would expect that bullion dealers WOULD hang onto the gold to fund their own post TSHTF retirement.

Whilst times are normal, they need to sell the gold at a profit in order to buy more gold to re-sell, just as any other retail business needs to sell existing stock at a profit to raise money for replacement stock.

If a significant number of gold coin dealers suddenly shut up shop, then that suggests to me that the world might be about to end.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"