Demand a long lasting repairable can opener!

Got campaigning suggestions? People to contact, places to advertise? Methods to use? How have people responded to your campaigning? Talk about it here.

Moderator: Peak Moderation

ArowxGames

Demand a long lasting repairable can opener!

Post by ArowxGames »

That's right start a campaign for basic tools that last more than a couple of months...
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I've had mine for some years, I can't remember how long.

Lots of stuff comes in ring pull tins now, so they don't get so much use.
John

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
ArowxGames

Post by ArowxGames »

Any other tools appliences that need to be designed to last longer?
Kentucky Fried Panda

Post by Kentucky Fried Panda »

i've used the same can opener since 1987, made by victorinox
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

There's a general agreement amongst woodworkers that steel is not what it used to be. Old tools are better than modern ones. Some talk of pre-nuclear steel, claiming that steel made since the testing of the hydrogen bomb has never been so good. I think there may be a case for using old steel for geiger counters but I don't suppose it has any effect on the quality of one's chisel.

The chisel I use most frequently is very old.
re

Post by re »

A bit sad, but I was in TK Max yesterday and noticed that that had a lot of kuhn rikon cookware, including can openers. They are made in Switzerland and I bet would last longer than something from Wilkos.

I think quality products are out there but it's just knowing what brands are good. Price isn't always the best indicator as often you are just paying for a trendy name.
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Our Bosch wfb2005 (bought in 2000) washing machine has now been repaired, and from what the chap (from their own repair team) told us, the stuff that's made now isn't as durable AND hasn't got a hot feed. So we'd better look after it and keep it going for at least another 10 years.

There's a move afoot by the EU to make everything of this type have a free 5 year guarantee: that should focus a few minds!
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
MrG

Post by MrG »

Long lasting repairable can opener?... A big knife!

Talking of TK Max I got one really good kitchen knife in there ages ago and just had one decent knife for years that I did everything in the kitchen with. Lasted really well (till I opened a few cans with it!)

Seriously though I use my grandads old jack knife for cans have done for years.. just lost it while pissed up and hungry and wanted to get into a can so ended up ruining my kitchen knife. Pretty much got the edge back on it though.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

MrG wrote:Long lasting repairable can opener?... A big knife!
But we need to be looking after ourselves, as well as our tools. Cut off fingers aren't repairable if the knife slips. If the doomers get their way, an injury might make the difference between life and death.
John

RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Sharpenable knives? (actually, how does one tell the difference).

I might blow a few bob on some good southpaw knives as I'm sick to death of cheese, carrots etc in non-Euclidean wedges. I'd have to label them well though or The Family (not one a southpaw) would do themselves a mischief on them.
Stories
The Price of Time
Kentucky Fried Panda

Post by Kentucky Fried Panda »

Mine opens a can much neater than the one in the picture.
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

KFP if I were to try that I'd probably end up with another Hand of Doom :(
Stories
The Price of Time
SleeperService

Post by SleeperService »

RenewableCandy wrote:KFP if I were to try that I'd probably end up with another Hand of Doom :(
If you're left handed (like me) you will, the blade on my knife pull my fingers into the can edge as I lever it.

I used to have a can opener that had a hooked blade and a triangular metal bit that let lefties and righties use it, and a nice wooden handle. No idea who nicked it :evil:
Scarcity is the new black
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

SleeperService wrote:
RenewableCandy wrote:KFP if I were to try that I'd probably end up with another Hand of Doom :(
If you're left handed (like me) you will, the blade on my knife pull my fingers into the can edge as I lever it.
Well you learn summat every day...I had no idea those knives were RH, I thought they were symmetrical. I'd always wondered why they were so fecking difficult to use.
Stories
The Price of Time
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

I've started opening ring pull tins with a tin opener, as you don't get that nasty sharpish bit inside that can cut you when you wash it out. I'm collecting tins for new uses, and would rather keep my hands intact!

It's a shame that all tins now seem to be corrugated, as it makes the metal less useful for making things.
John