Mitigating the threat of Ebola or other pandemic in UK.

What changes can we make to our lives to deal with the economic and energy crises ahead? Have you already started making preparations? Got tips to share?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

snow hope

Post by snow hope »

I understand your point Chris, but firstly I do already have some fairly decent preps stored. Secondly, you can never have enough in my opinion and I don't really have the kitchen space to store as many preps as I should ideally have. Thirdly I am happy to spend a grand or more when TSH is about to hit TF, but don't really want to until it is necessary.
Also my rotation strategy is not perfect and thus there is some wastage.

Does this answer the question or do you think I am fluffing it a bit? lol :)
Real money is gold and silver
Mean Mr Mustard

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

Secondary effects as this spreads...?

Air travel demand collapses in similar fashion to post 9-11, other public transport likewise as discretionary travel reduces - tourism, day trips...

Large gatherings - sports, exhibitions, festivals, make losses due to declining support, well ahead of any restrictions or bans

Supermarkets suffer as people concentrate on essentials in single large shopping trips, no impulse buys

Retailers in High Streets suffer, especially for discretionary products, or things that can be put off, eg new glasses, especially in situations where customers are touched eg haircuts and beauty treatments, dental work

More doctors surgeries adopt online repeat prescriptions, phone consultations

Normal severe flu cases over winter create thousands of 'worried unwell' false alarms

Nursing recruitment / retention crisis

Non-essential staff stood down or work from home where possible
1855 Advertisement for Kier's Rock Oil -
"Hurry, before this wonderful product is depleted from Nature’s laboratory."

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Nail bars, however, would continue to flourish, as most of them are fronts for money-laundering. I always wondered how on earth they paid their rates.
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Mean Mr Mustard

RenewableCandy wrote:Nail bars, however, would continue to flourish, as most of them are fronts for money-laundering. I always wondered how on earth they paid their rates.
Mrs Mustard paints her own, it's some kind of occupational therapy thing, but at least I can relate to that. She's got more colours than I have Humbrol and Games Workshop...

I thought it was ice-cream vans that are wearedodgy with the impossible volume of cash transactions. Especially at this time of year.

RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Ice cream vans are So Last Century. Also, they're too easy to steal.
Stories
The Price of Time
Mean Mr Mustard

RenewableCandy wrote:Ice cream vans are So Last Century. Also, they're too easy to steal.
In the words of Eric Morecombe - "He'll never sell ice cream going at that speed..!"

:D

RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Funny you should mention Morecambe: when I was living in Lancashire by mistake, I remember the "ice cream wars" were a Thing back then (1970s). It was obvious even to the most naive of Renewables that there was more to it than ice cream!
Stories
The Price of Time
mikepepler
Site Admin

Post by mikepepler »

It strikes me that the main problem with going into recluse to ride out an ebola outbreak is what happens if you get ill with something else or have an accident. If it's bad enough to need a trip to the doctor, or even worse a hospital, then you stand a chance of catching it. That's assuming there are medical staff with time to treat you anyway...

That's not a reason not to go into recluse though, just a recognition that it may not be possible to stay there...
Mike

"Deal with reality or reality will deal with you"
Dr Colin Campbell

http://peplers.blogspot.com
http://peakoilupdate.blogspot.com
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

An indirect prep for Ebola would to be extra careful to avoid accident or injury that would require medical treatment and potential contact with infection.

I suggest even more than usual caution in the use of power tools, knives and axes, and ladders.
To badly cut yourself whilst preparing firewood would be unfortunate at any time, but much worse if the possible consequences included catching Ebola from the hospital.

Another prep in the very early stages of an outbreak is to consider ordering groceries on line for delivery. This does not eliminate risk as the virus could be caught from the driver or from the goods. It would however seem much less risky than visiting a crowded supermarket.
DONT ORDER LARGE AMOUNTS and become known as a hoarder ! remember that the delivery driver and others know where you live !

In the later stages of the outbreak it would be best to live of your stores since firstly shops are likely to be empty, and secondly even if supplies are available it would be sensible to avoid any human contact.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

In view of the news from china, I felt it worth re-visiting this old thread.

Here are some suggestions, that I previously posted during the ebola panic, but that are applicable also to the present situation.

I would suggest large stocks of latex gloves or similar, to reduce the risks in touching infected persons or articles.
Face masks, and goggles or preferably a full face visor to protect against splashes of body fluids from an infected person coughing etc.

Surgical or isolation gowns reduce the risks to those caring, these need to be either disposable (burn the used ones) or re-usable cotton (sterilise by prolonged boiling) 10 reusable garments or 100 disposables might be a reasonable supply.

The patient will likely soil clothing and bedding, have plenty of replacements either disposable or boilable.
White cotton sheets and cotton blankets can be sterilised by prolonged boiling.
Household mattresses cant be cleaned, much less sterilised, and should be burnt after the patient either recovers or dies. Consider a spare kept wrapped up until after the emergency.
The bed ridden patient should wear either a hospital type gown or cheap cotton nightwear that can be sterilised by prolonged boiling. Have plenty of spares, 20 might be a reasonable minimum.
Plenty of cheap hand and bath towels, white so that they can be seen to be clean, sterilise after each use by prolonged boiling.

ANY clothing or bedding etc that cant be boiled thoroughly should be destroyed by fire if it may be infected.

Many serious illnesses kill partly by dehydration, a very substantial stock of oral re-hydration salts should be kept, 100 packs is not excessive.

Also useful
A garden type incinerator for the safe and effective burning of infectious waste, and some fire wood and diesel fuel or paraffin to assist in making a hot fire.
A large metal container in which laundry may be boiled over a fire or gas ring.
A water container with an outlet tap, to contain strongly chlorinated water for hand washing etc.
Plenty of chlorine bleach and laundry detergent.

As well as the above Ebola specific preps, remember that shops may be empty and utility service interrupted, therefore review general doomer preps including-
Emergency lighting
Food stocks.
General first aid supplies.
Drinking water and water treatment supplies.
Toilet paper and other cleaning and hygiene supplies.
Off grid cooking and heating arrangements.
Fuel for vehicles, lanterns, stoves etc.
Other useful tools supplies and consumables.

These more general doom preps need not be discussed in detail in this thread as there are numerous existing threads to which comments, enquiries and suggestions may be added.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Here is a supplier of cotton surgical gowns.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-pcs-REUSA ... SwCONdfQ7P

These are re-usable and should be hot machine washed (90 degrees) after use, or preferably boiled.
These garments are most useful attire for infection control.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

adam2 wrote:Here is a supplier of cotton surgical gowns.
Not from China, I hope Adam!!
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

No, from Poland, cold war stocks.
woodburner

Post by woodburner »

Also useful
A garden type incinerator for the safe and effective burning of infectious waste, and some fire wood and diesel fuel or paraffin to assist in making a hot fire.
A large metal container in which laundry may be boiled over a fire or gas ring.
A water container with an outlet tap, to contain strongly chlorinated water for hand washing etc.
Plenty of chlorine bleach and laundry detergent.
If you live in a block of flats, I suggest some of these remedies may not be appropriate.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Indeed, living in a block of flats would be a decided drawback if this virus becomes established in the UK.

Disinfection by boiling is almost foolproof. The hottest wash on a washing machine is probably acceptable, but what if the washing machine breaks or the electricity supply fails ?
A large metal container over a fire is most useful, but not viable in most flats.
An LPG bottle and a gas ring might be a possibility, but probably prohibited.

Chemical disinfection with bleach is worth considering, together with disposable sheets, hospital gowns, and surgical gowns.
Double bag infected disposables, and after the emergency TPTB MIGHT arrange collection. If they don't, then consider a large fire outdoors, when the immediate danger has passed.