Mitigating the threat of Ebola or other pandemic in UK.

What changes can we make to our lives to deal with the economic and energy crises ahead? Have you already started making preparations? Got tips to share?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

tpals wrote:Two weeks ago, when I ordered supplies listed on this thread, all were readily available. Now, some of those items are out of stock or the price has gone up.
I have observed that latex and/or vinyl gloves are more expensive and available from fewer vendors than was the cases a couple of weeks ago.
Disposable coveralls and disposable isolation gowns seem to be less available.

Reusable cotton surgical gowns (sterilise by boiling and then re use) are still readily available but only from USA fleabay sellers, which would add to costs and delay delivery.

Cotton cellular blankets that can be boiled are still available, only from a limited number of vendors, but outside of institutions these are not much used nowadays.

reusable hospital patient gowns are readily available.

Chlorine tablets are readily available from the supplier that I earlier suggested, and from fleabay. unfortunately most of these tablets are made by one company, no matter who distributes them. I don't know how much stock they keep and how quickly and to what extent production can be increased.

Face masks and goggles seem to be readily available on line and in tool and hardware stores.

General doomer supplies as distinct from Ebola specific items, seem to be in plentiful supply.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
tpals

Post by tpals »

snow hope wrote:
tpals wrote:Two weeks ago, when I ordered supplies listed on this thread, all were readily available. Now, some of those items are out of stock or the price has gone up.
What did you buy?
Disposable coveralls, gloves, face masks, shoe covers, and isolation gowns.
Also goggles, face shields and gas masks with extra filters.
And hydration mix and Oasis water purification tablets.

I'm planning on getting extra waterproof mattress covers.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

One for small cornish preppers - a pallet of small gloves:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pallet-Of-Dis ... _44wt_1192
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

It crossed my slightly-hungover brain this morning that an awful lot of people these days are turning up at their workplaces coughing and sneezing, and no longer just during "the flu season". People are being driven ever-harder by the fear of losing their income, I suppose.

This "background noise" of general ill-health may very well delay possible ebola victims of the employed variety getting help, as the first symptoms get masked by, or mistaken for, the now almost ubiquitous colds-and-flu.
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

Staying on the subject of, erm, hangovers...

Many moons ago I got one of those begging-letters from UNICEF. But it was a begging letter with a difference: along with the description of how Fatima's life would be transformed if she got clean water, there was a little sachet of powder. It was an early (yes, amazingly the stuff wasn't developed til about 1985) example of Oral Rehydration salts. Water with this powder in, said the Instructions, is much easier to keep down if you (or one of Fatima's children) is throwing-up.

I hadn't the heart to sling something which came with such a tale, so I put it in the kitchen cupboard.

Months later, hungover one morning, I remembered it and mixed it to drink. It worked!

I've just looked up (because it might come in useful) the ratios for a home-made equivalent, and found:

30ml (6 teasp) sugar : 2.5 ml (1/2 teasp) salt : 1 litre water (or even weak tea or broth).
Stories
The Price of Time
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

RenewableCandy wrote:Staying on the subject of, erm, hangovers...
Why RC you're a grown up now and should know better!!
I hope you at least had a very nice evening acquiring said hang over. :wink:
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

I'm delighted to report that it was an enjoyable evening :D

The hangover thing is just completely random, mind. On the eve of my and marvellous other 1/2's wedding, I sank 1/2 a bottle of vodka and was still radiant on the day. At other times, 1-and-a-bit glasses of wine has knocked me out for a week. I never drink without eating, but other than that I've long since given up trying to understand it.

Some more of those sachets probably wouldn't do any harm...
Stories
The Price of Time
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

If using household bleach for disinfection, or using chlorine compounds of unknown age or potency, it would be desireable to test the chlorine solution for strength.

Test papers for this purpose are manufactured, but not widely sold retail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-strips-pr ... 2595d95297

Fleabay link provided to show the product to which I refer, not a specific recommendation to that seller who has only 1 remaining.
Many other fleabay sellers have this product, but usually they are in the USA which add to costs and delay.

The same test papers are also sold in the UK by RS COMPONENTS but they require a trade account and have a surcharge for small orders.

These test papers give only a crude approximate indication, accurate determination requires lab work.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
vtsnowedin

Post by vtsnowedin »

adam2 wrote:If using household bleach for disinfection, or using chlorine compounds of unknown age or potency, it would be desireable to test the chlorine solution for strength.

Test papers for this purpose are manufactured, but not widely sold retail.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-strips-pr ... 2595d95297

Fleabay link provided to show the product to which I refer, not a specific recommendation to that seller who has only 1 remaining.
Many other fleabay sellers have this product, but usually they are in the USA which add to costs and delay.

The same test papers are also sold in the UK by RS COMPONENTS but they require a trade account and have a surcharge for small orders.

These test papers give only a crude approximate indication, accurate determination requires lab work.
Just get a pool test kit. Any preteen that wants to swim in the summer has learned how to use one. They read out chlorine in ppm with safe range indicated.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

rehydration salts are a rip off in the UK. This might do the ticket:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electro-Cure- ... 243wt_1958

1kg vets tub with about 1 year left of use by date. I can't see the date is that critical unopened as it's only medical standard dextrose, citric acid and 1 amino acid to degrade, the rest is stable salts. If you read this survivors story:

http://www.bellanaija.com/2014/09/15/mu ... her-story/

she was told to drink about a gallon/5 litres a day. You are soon going to need 1kg of powder if your family has it. That drink is good for cows/pigs/goats/sheep/poultry so I take it as me too - but I'm not a vet or medic.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

How long will passengers still do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhWVsx1 ... r_embedded

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2014-10-0 ... e-near-you

I won't fret over the end of widespread flights.
Mean Mr Mustard

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

Is there a single point to prompt hunkering down into Reverse Quarantine? Or would that withdrwal be in stages - eg avoid public transport, large gatherings, all gatherings, essential trips only in quieter hours, no proximity to anyone, stay indoors?

What would be the triggers? Say if there were known cases in your neighbourhood / county / (Assuming Govt will allow media to disclose this) street / workplace?

Possible secondary effects from severe outbreak -

Stripped bare shelves from JIT supply chain breakdown - likely some way ahead of outbreaks
Related petrol panics
Closed businesses from reduced footfall
Law and order breakdowns
Rethinking of sick absence policy by employers to avoid key knowledge lost or 100% loss of vital service from an outbreak
'three day week' imposed for 'non-essential' business to reduce interaction?
Three week lockdown to contain outbreaks?
Essential workers, eg at power stations, confined to workplaces?

In what ways is a First Worlder's situation different to poor West Africans once the healthcare system is overwhelmed?
1855 Advertisement for Kier's Rock Oil -
"Hurry, before this wonderful product is depleted from Nature’s laboratory."

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

The odds of being the first contact of someone who has come here from West Africa with Ebola are pretty small especially if you are not in contact with anyone of Africa origin. Health care workers and squaddies are likely to be screened and/or quarantined on return, even if it is only self quarantine.

The problem would be the odd rich West African who could afford to come here as a tourist or business person to escape and didn't want to be sent back so, out of the ignorance that has been shown already in West Africa, keeps his head down despite feeling symptoms. I would avoid London as that is the destination of choice for most tourists.

The poor West African is likely to die en route across the Sahara or in North Africa waiting to get a boat across the Med. North African countries are, I think, the next most likely countries to be hit as the illegals congregate there.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
snow hope

Post by snow hope »

A lot of good questions there MMM, which have also been occurring to me and mine.

My view is that with Ebola, you have to go into recluse early, otherwise what is the point? If you choose this form of protection/mitigation, then by its nature you have to do it before there is any significant risk of possible infection.

In addition, once you choose to go this route, you cannot break it for anybody - nobody can be added to the recluse group lest they infect the entire group. This needs to be discussed and agreed within the group beforehand as it can be very divisive and hard to enforce. :shock:

It is very subjective when you call the decision and I would suggest as soon as you know there is somebody in the town/city where you work, or there is somebody in your local region that has the disease then you need to make the decision fast or you may even have left it too late.

Regarding the secondary effects, my plan is to go out and spend many hundreds of pounds on food supplies in a wholesalers or supermarket at the first sound of panic. This has to be done quickly and effectively before the majority of other people try to do it. So being abreast of breaking news and the current situation is critical for this to work. I am in a small group of people where this is an agreed understanding and communication is good.

To this end I have recently realised/agreed I need to draw up a panic list of purchases to be made in this scenario. I will start a separate topic for this discussion as I think it is important and relevant to others.
Real money is gold and silver
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

snow hope wrote:Regarding the secondary effects, my plan is to go out and spend many hundreds of pounds on food supplies in a wholesalers or supermarket at the first sound of panic. This has to be done quickly and effectively before the majority of other people try to do it. So being abreast of breaking news and the current situation is critical for this to work.
I've never quite seen the point of this 'last minute rush before the crowds' strategy. Very risky - you might not beat the crowds and the last thing you want is to be caught up with them!

But mainly, what do you buy in the last minute rush? Non-perishables, you should have already and perishables won't make any difference past the first week anyway?