Major energy company failing soon

What changes can we make to our lives to deal with the economic and energy crises ahead? Have you already started making preparations? Got tips to share?

Moderator: Peak Moderation

clv101
Site Admin

Re: Major energy company failing soon

Post by clv101 »

This is the 'bad bank' model. There's likely a shortfall of £hundreds per customer, over ~1.7 million... So a £200m+ shortfall. Who pays for this? General taxation? An increase to April's new rate cap?
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Indeed, and I am very surprised that the government have taken this action.

Huge political hot potato. Now that it is government run there will be calls to reduce prices for the "vulnerable" despite these prices already being far below market prices.
Also calls for fixed price deals to be extended after the pre agreed date on which they should have ended. "Shock as government run energy supplier DOUBLES prices for people already in fuel poverty" would be the headlines when a fixed price 11 pence a unit deal is replaced by a capped price of 22 pence a unit.

And of course complaints from customers of other bust suppliers who were transferred to other suppliers on less attractive tariffs "why were we not offered the same deal"

And complaints from yet to bust energy suppliers "how can we compete with a government subsidised supplier"
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Gee. What happened to the "too cheap to meter" nuclear power.

More seriously there are a lot of linked issues here, to name but a few, privatization, regulation, general government stupidity, corporate greed, not to mention good old collapse of civilization, and a many layered electrical utility system involving regulators, system operators, generators, retailers, distribution companies and probably a few more I cannot remember most of whom are now profit making (or probably loss making at the moment - let's just say profit motivated).

Although I am normally in favour of privatization the electrical utility market is probably better in public hands right now. We could probably go back one step further and say the standard of insulation in the nations housing stock is not very good either.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

BritDownUnder wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:53 pm ................... We could probably go back one step further and say the standard of insulation in the nations housing stock is not very good either.
Saying it is bloody awful would be more accurate!

I haven't given a nudge to my campaign page here recently so have a look at

www.facebook.com/insulatehouses
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

To go off at a tangent, in New Zealand the government has mandated that owners of rental apartments be responsible for installing insulation to a minimum practicable standard. Maybe this is something the UK should do, if it does not already. Conservation is not the primary concern of this NZ policy, health is - due to detrimental effects of living in cold buildings, and New Zealand is not presently short of either electricity or natural gas, as far as I know.

On another note I would have no objection is the entire foreign aid budget, or many other budgets for that matter (MPs pay, legal aid etc) is instead directed to subsidy schemes that use UK-made insulation products.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Insulating to a minimum standard is plain stupid. We need to insulate houses to the maximum practical standard as most of the cost is in the labour and a good proportion is in the finishing layer. The labour input doesn't vary that much with the insulation thickness and the finish layer is the same no matter what the insulation thickness. I am talking about external insulation here which is required on virtually all houses as cavity wall insulation on its own doesn't give enough heat saving. If a house is being insulated externally the cavity must be filled as if it is not it will just short circuit the external insulation by venting the heat from the cavity.

We cannot afford to stop our aid budget as that will just lead to an increase of migrants coming across the channel. If anything we should increase the aid budget but carefully target it to the people on the ground in the areas where the migrants are coming from. It needs to be distributed in a way where it can't be diverted to fund people migrating and hence people traffickers.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Insulation works. So far this winter we have lit our wood stove 5 times in total. It's our only source of space heating:

Date/time ...... Indoor ... Water ... Outdoor (min)

27th Oct 3pm..... 20C ...... 33C ...... 13.9C
10th Nov 3:30pm. 18C ...... 29C ...... 8.1C
14th Nov 3pm..... 18C ...... 28C ...... 9.7C
18th Nov 2pm..... 18C ...... 31C ...... 7.6C
23th Nov 2pm..... 17C ...... 44C ...... -0.1C

Only on the last of those occasions did the light actually for heat (indoor temperature had dropped to 17C after two days of frosts). We typically light it for hot water when the solar isn't enough to keep it temperature up. When we do like the stove it's only for around ~4 hours and cooks dinner as well.

U-value for our floor, walls and roof is around 0.13 W/m2. Windows and doors are a mix of high spec double and triple glazing.

In past rented houses, I would probably have needed the gas central heating on for several hours a day for the last few weeks.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

Sounds like good insulation there. I suppose there is a dedicated air inlet for the fire that gets closed up tightly when it is not lit.

To me there is no point in having a government power company selling subsidised electricity to heat poorly insulated houses where it very quickly goes to the outside air. It is just pi$$ing money up against the wall. I think very little British aid goes to migrant source countries except maybe Afghanistan. I would have thought most UK aid goes to Anglophone Africa though I am happy to be proven wrong. Migrants, mainly from the Middle East and South Asia come to the UK for benefits, working opportunities and free housing/healthcare/education.
G'Day cobber!
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

We get plenty of migrants from African countries as well, especially West Africa where there is an active Muslim insurgency.
BritDownUnder

Post by BritDownUnder »

kenneal - lagger wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 pm We get plenty of migrants from African countries as well, especially West Africa where there is an active Muslim insurgency.
I am not seeing a lot of African faces amongst the people sitting on "Border Force" boats and the RNLI boats that have been rescued after taking a trip in the channel. I would suggest the following actions be taken.
- No rescue of obvious migrant boats outside of the three mile limit of UK sovereignty regardless of seaworthiness or state of boat. Private parties who do so and bring people to the UK will be either jailed or assets seized to pay cost of migrant upkeep until the migrants they bring in are removed.
- Immediate end to 'free housing/education/healthcare' to all illegal arrivals regardless of refugee status.
- Immediate fines of a suitable amount to be levied on illegal arrivals. No consideration of application of refugee status until fine paid.
- Immediate end to all forms of political/economic/defence cooperation with EU and NATO until crossings end.

Back to the Energy thread. It seems like the UK taxpayer will fund Bulb energy presumably subsidising the cap maximum power bills that the government introduced.
G'Day cobber!
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

BritDownUnder wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:11 am...to all illegal arrivals regardless of refugee status.
What does this even mean? The right to seek asylum is a legal right we all share. It isn't illegal to seek asylum, because seeking asylum is a legal process.

By all means we can discuss this issue (on a different thread) but it helps if we stick to reality.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

I saw a report that two thirds of the "migrants" arriving by boat are quickly given leave to remain as they are legal asylum seekers. Of the remainder all but three (3) remain in the country, as post Brexit we have no legal agreement with any other country to send them to. Regardless, we are now have net emigration in this country as far more EU citizens are leaving than are arriving.

These are facts. Everything else is politics.
adam2
Site Admin

Post by adam2 »

Please keep on the topic of the failure of a major energy supplier. The "migrant watch" thread is the proper place for talking about migrants/asylum seekers/and removal of or letting remain of same.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27566&start=1680
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

Some good analysis from Dieter Helm here:

http://www.dieterhelm.co.uk/regulation/ ... -about-it/