Hello Everyone...

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Mean Mr Mustard

Hello Everyone...

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

I'd like to introduce myself...

I became aware of PO about six months ago, as a result of my concerns about the way that Western societies are very vulnerable to just-in-time disruption, (the 2000 fuel crisis rattled me) and how economies have become a giant debt bubble. While surfing around on the net, I then found an even bigger potential and inevitable someday problem in PO. My introduction to the topic was the USA Life After the Oil Crash site. Been lurking there and on this forum since then, and briefly registered on LATOC, but it seems to me that one or two folks over there are more into running for them thar hills with their AK47s.

My recent reading has included Jim Kunstler's Long Emergency, and Empire of Debt by Addison Wiggin and Bill Bonner. You'll find them over at DailyReckoning.com. They believe in PO too, but my favourite columnist there is the Mogambo Guru, who exhorts me to buy gold in his 'Freaking Doomed' weekly comedy sketches.

Once the overpaid mortgage is finished next year, sure, I'll be doing some of that. My car is paid for too, and does 65 mpg (Skoda turbodiesel). Maybe it'll be replaced with a diesel hybrid in years to come. For now, I'm getting a jerrycan of diesel to keep going through any supply shocks, several sturdy walking boots from China while the're still so cheap, some bike inner tubes too. Also modest stocks of food for us and the dogs to last through any temporary shortages. And stocking up a bit on prescription medication, some of which (insulin) literally keeps me alive. Accumulating wealth once debt free, and modest stockpiling is about as much as I can realistically do, (I think) because if it all goes completely pear shaped, I'm doomed anyway without the insulin.

So, until then, I'm more into practical and realistic preparations which don't involve ammo clips or AK47s, but I have to say that these days, I look at everything around me now in a completely new light. It makes no sense at all - especially big cars, consumer Xmas garbage, crowded supermarkets. I tried explaining PO to a few people, but I'm usually seen as a (sometimes humourous) doomsayer.

I also do voluntary debt counselling. It's already ending in tears for many, even though many more still think the party isn't going to end. Freaking doomed, just like the Mogambo Guru says.

I look forward to joining in some of the discussions, because at least I'm not a lone voice here.

Mustard
Keela

Post by Keela »

Hi MMM!

By the sound of things you'll fit in here just fine! There are a variety of opinions; but like you folk on here are very aware of the precarious nature of civilisation as we know it!

I too am making various changes. Growing more veg. Keeping a food store. Clearing the morgage asap. etc. etc.

My nephew is insulin dependent diabetic - I wonder how much of a surplus his parents have in stock. It's not an easy subject to broach. When I mentioned the PO topic before I was told - "there's hundreds of years of oil left" !!! Hmmmm........

Anyway welcome to the forum. And watch out it's addictive! :P

Sal
MisterE

Post by MisterE »

Welcome to the forum hope you enjoy your stay :-)
MacG

Post by MacG »

It was a long time since I saw a reference to "Mr Mustard". If memory dont fail me completely, the director of the (in)famous movie "Deep Throat" featuring Linda Lovelace appeared as "Mr Mustard". And then it was the Beatles of course...
careful_eugene

Re: Hello Everyone...

Post by careful_eugene »

Mean Mr Mustard wrote: I tried explaining PO to a few people, but I'm usually seen as a (sometimes humourous) doomsayer.
You'll get used to that, sometimes people will even get angry with you for explaining Peak oil, it must be that "shoot the messanger thing"
Paid up member of the Petite bourgeoisie
ianryder

Re: Hello Everyone...

Post by ianryder »

careful_eugene wrote:
Mean Mr Mustard wrote: I tried explaining PO to a few people, but I'm usually seen as a (sometimes humourous) doomsayer.
You'll get used to that, sometimes people will even get angry with you for explaining Peak oil, it must be that "shoot the messanger thing"
I've given up on this now...think you'll have more joy getting people to listen to the stuff about the US economy, gas supplies in this country, population growth, food supplies. All these things can't really be argued with whereas people tend to just say 'I know someone who says there's loads of oil in the ground' and it's a difficult one to argue away as nobody knows 100% for sure what's out there. People might change their lives based on the other things just as much as they would on PO.

Welcome Mr Mustard!
Andy Hunt

Post by Andy Hunt »

Welcome Mr Mustard to the hottest discussion board around!

:D
Andy Hunt
http://greencottage.burysolarclub.net
Eternal Sunshine wrote: I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. :roll:
Mean Mr Mustard

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

MacG wrote:It was a long time since I saw a reference to "Mr Mustard". If memory dont fail me completely, the director of the (in)famous movie "Deep Throat" featuring Linda Lovelace appeared as "Mr Mustard". And then it was the Beatles of course...
Well, ahem, I can definitely confirm mine is Beatles influenced! :D

Thanks for the friendly welcomes, I only spotted the intro link in the sticky above this thread after posting.

Cheers

Mustard