New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

fuzzy
Posts: 1388
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: The Marches, UK

Post by fuzzy »

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12689
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Little John wrote:.........Where putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe psychological distress
A lot of things seem to cause you severe psychological stress at the moment, Steve. Brexit and covid conversations seem to be the major ones but by no means the only ones.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John
Posts: 8832
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Little John wrote:.........Where putting on, wearing or removing a face covering will cause severe psychological distress
A lot of things seem to cause you severe psychological stress at the moment, Steve. Brexit and covid conversations seem to be the major ones but by no means the only ones.
No, just petite bourgeois, self interested, hypocritical, smug, supercilious, class-driven, oh-so-British, soft-fascists like you Ken and, whilst Brexit and Covid19, in their own unique and individual ways, have been the major vehicles by which folks like you have been exposed for all to see, they are by no means the only ones.
User avatar
Mark
Posts: 1429
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:48 am
Location: NW England

Post by Mark »

Little John wrote:No, just petite bourgeois, self interested, hypocritical, smug, supercilious, class-driven, oh-so-British, soft-fascists like you Ken and, whilst Brexit and Covid19, in their own unique and individual ways, have been the major vehicles by which folks like you have been exposed for all to see, they are by no means the only ones.
LJ, you say these things about anyone who has a different opinion to you on any subject. I think that most on here would agree that Ken is a thoughtful, interesting and educated poster. If you keep getting so wound up, I fear you'll post something soon that will land you in serious hot water.
Remember, this is a public forum and what you type lasts for ever.
User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 11328
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 am
Location: south east England

Post by UndercoverElephant »

Mark wrote:
Little John wrote:No, just petite bourgeois, self interested, hypocritical, smug, supercilious, class-driven, oh-so-British, soft-fascists like you Ken and, whilst Brexit and Covid19, in their own unique and individual ways, have been the major vehicles by which folks like you have been exposed for all to see, they are by no means the only ones.
LJ, you say these things about anyone who has a different opinion to you on any subject.
Yup.
cubes
Posts: 710
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:40 pm
Location: Norfolk

Post by cubes »

Just an angry man looking for a fight.
Little John
Posts: 8832
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

Mark wrote:
Little John wrote:No, just petite bourgeois, self interested, hypocritical, smug, supercilious, class-driven, oh-so-British, soft-fascists like you Ken and, whilst Brexit and Covid19, in their own unique and individual ways, have been the major vehicles by which folks like you have been exposed for all to see, they are by no means the only ones.
LJ, you say these things about anyone who has a different opinion to you on any subject. I think that most on here would agree that Ken is a thoughtful, interesting and educated poster. If you keep getting so wound up, I fear you'll post something soon that will land you in serious hot water.
Remember, this is a public forum and what you type lasts for ever.
Nope, just mostly on here because it is infested with a certain type of person from a certain section of our society in turn producing a certain predictability of norms and values. Norms and values that, when push has come to shove on one or both of the most important issues of our time in history, have shown themselves to be of a very old form indeed. Namely, ones that conform to the agenda and aims of the ruling class, even to the extent that democracy and liberty are discarded as lightly as mist in the morning if that agenda requires it. This is not true of all who are on here of course. But, it is of a significant portion. Elsewhere, the demographic is far more mixed.

Additionally, I am entirely happy with standing by the contents of my posts. Is that a threat?
stumuz1
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:12 pm
Location: Anglesey

Post by stumuz1 »

What are peoples thoughts on 'Variolation'

The idea that wearing face coverings gives a very low dose of Covid-19 and thus builds up immunity slowly.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913
Little John
Posts: 8832
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

stumuz1 wrote:What are peoples thoughts on 'Variolation'

The idea that wearing face coverings gives a very low dose of Covid-19 and thus builds up immunity slowly.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2026913
Ok, so, the second paragraph of that article propogates a bare faced lie:
One important reason for population-wide facial masking became apparent in March, when reports started to circulate describing the high rates of SARS-CoV-2 viral shedding from the noses and mouths of patients who were presymptomatic or asymptomatic — shedding rates equivalent to those among symptomatic patients.1 Universal facial masking seemed to be a possible way to prevent transmission from asymptomatic infected people. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) therefore recommended on April 3 that the public wear cloth face coverings in areas with high rates of community transmission — a recommendation that has been unevenly followed across the United States.
That is to say, there is no systematic evidence that has been presented of asymtomatic transmission of C19 at any level, never mind "high rates of SARS-CoV-2 viral shedding from the noses and mouths of patients who were presymptomatic or asymptomatic".

To imply that such evidence is overwhelmingly present is a lie, and consequent "recommendations" on the back of that lie by the CDC do not make it any less of a lie. Nor does second hand reporting of the lie in that article make it true either.
Last edited by Little John on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12689
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Seems like lockdown has unfortunately flipped at least one member of this forum.

It's not sufficient to be a Brexiteer any more, you have to be the right sort of Brexiteer. Or should that be the left sort? But definitely not a mask wearing one!
Last edited by kenneal - lagger on Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John
Posts: 8832
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

kenneal - lagger wrote:Seems like lockdown has unfortunately flipped at least one member of this forum.

It's not sufficient to be a Brexiteer any more, you have to be the right sort of Brexiteer. Or should that be the left sort?
Meanwhile, the facts?

Oh no I forgot, you don't do them any more do you Ken Neil
stumuz1
Posts: 902
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:12 pm
Location: Anglesey

Post by stumuz1 »

Little John wrote: That is to say, there is no systematic evidence that has been presented of asymtomatic transmission of C19 at any level, never mind "high rates of SARS-CoV-2 viral shedding from the noses and mouths of patients who were presymptomatic or asymptomatic".

To imply that such evidence is overwhelmingly present is a lie, and consequent "recommendations" on the back of that lie by the CDC do not make it any less of a lie. Nor does second hand reporting of the lie in that article make it true either.
However, what do you think of variolation as a concept? Covid-19 aside.

From Science direct;

Variolation, the practice of infecting people with low doses of smallpox, dates back to 1000 BC in India. It would generally induce a mild form of the disease, which would prevent the person from being re-infected. Edward Jenner realised that a milkmaid infected with cowpox would not subsequently get smallpox. Cowpox caused a mild infection, and so the first live vaccine was found. Later it was discovered that the virus being used for smallpox vaccination (Fig. 1) was in fact vaccinia, not cowpox, albeit related. Louis Pasteur (Fig. 2) went further with this process and developed the first rabies vaccine.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/im ... ariolation
User avatar
UndercoverElephant
Posts: 11328
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:00 am
Location: south east England

Post by UndercoverElephant »

kenneal - lagger wrote:Seems like lockdown has unfortunately flipped at least one member of this forum.

It's not sufficient to be a Brexiteer any more, you have to be the right sort of Brexiteer. Or should that be the left sort?
Nope, being a left-leaning brexiteer isn't sufficient either. You have to the right sort of left-leaning brexiteer, whatever that is.
eatyourveg
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:02 pm
Location: uk

Post by eatyourveg »

UndercoverElephant wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:Seems like lockdown has unfortunately flipped at least one member of this forum.

It's not sufficient to be a Brexiteer any more, you have to be the right sort of Brexiteer. Or should that be the left sort?
Nope, being a left-leaning brexiteer isn't sufficient either. You have to the right sort of left-leaning brexiteer, whatever that is.
You are all missing the point, you cannot be one of these:

'petite bourgeois'

For if you are one of those, then obviously you deserve absolutely no respect, whatever your achievements, however reasoned your arguments, however many references you quote, anything at all. Essentially you must be well balanced i.e. a chip on both shoulders. Nothing more or less required. Get to it.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Douglas Bader.
User avatar
clv101
Site Admin
Posts: 8914
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Contact:

Post by clv101 »

But despite all these divisions, LJ is still clearly speaking for the majority.
Post Reply