New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

Snail

Post by Snail »

ignored other more serious, illegal abuses by Labour politicians.
What have labour politicians been up to?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Snail wrote:......What have labour politicians been up to?
Oh! Just going to funerals or driving hundreds of miles to see their Dad on his birthday or driving miles to attend a party with others. Nothing much really compared to Cummings doing the best for his four year old son's welfare.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Snail

Post by Snail »

Ha. Thought something to do with lockdown, but when I googled it all that came up was cummings.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

This article asks a significant question.

"What’s more disturbing: Cummings’ behaviour - or the mob pursuing him?"
Last edited by kenneal - lagger on Wed May 27, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

Snail wrote:Ha. Thought something to do with lockdown, but when I googled it all that came up was cummings.
Add Kinnock and Tahir Ali to your search and you will find a few friendly references.
ReserveGrowthRulz
Banned

Post by ReserveGrowthRulz »

vtsnowedin wrote: I'm surprised you Brits have spent so much time and energy debating this lackey and his callous actions.
:lol:
The incessant whining has been a bit over the top, hasn't it?
eatyourveg

Post by eatyourveg »

ReserveGrowthRulz wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote: I'm surprised you Brits have spent so much time and energy debating this lackey and his callous actions.
:lol:
The incessant whining has been a bit over the top, hasn't it?
Might be. Cummings isn't the lackey though. The PM is.
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Douglas Bader.
clv101
Site Admin

Post by clv101 »

I care very little about the specifics of the Cummings affair. However I do think this is yet more evidence of incompetence at the highest level. The situation should never have been allowed to explode as it has.

Firstly, it should have been obvious how divisive a figure Cummings is and how lots of people would jump on any excuse to bring him down - and they handed that excuse on a silver plate.

Secondly, had he just thrown up his hands in full apology and offered to resign the moment the story broke, we'd have heard no more of it. Cummings could have kept a more low key role and been back at the top table within the year.

Thirdly, why o why is he seen as being so vital to this government? Why chose this hill to die on? The synchronised support form cabinet ministers, the Downing St press conference, it just seems an absurd response.
Last edited by clv101 on Tue May 26, 2020 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eatyourveg

Post by eatyourveg »

clv101 wrote:I care very little about the specifics of the Cummings affair. However I do think this is yet more evidence of incompetence at the highest level. The situation should never have been allowed to explode as it has.

Firstly, it should have been obvious how decisive a figure Cummings is and how lots of people would jump on any excuse to bring him down - and they handed that excuse on a silver plate.

Secondly, had he just thrown up his hands in full apology and offered to resign the moment the story broke, we'd have heard no more of it. Cummings could have kept a more low key role and been back at the top table within the year.

Thirdly, why o why is he seen as being so vital to this government? Why chose this hill to die on? The synchronised support form cabinet ministers, the Downing St press conference, it just seems an absurd response.
Yes, why is he so important? And it is more than absurd, it's plain bonkers.

Just been chuckling over this:

It was now clear that there was no law Classic Dom might have broken over the past 20 years that the government wouldn’t be willing to review, just to keep the de facto prime minister in his job. That dope Dom might have smoked at university? Maybe it was time to have drugs legalised after all. That time Dom had driven at 35mph in a 30mph zone? Maybe it was time to up the speed limit so that kids could learn to keep their wits about them in urban areas. That blogpost on pandemics Dom had said he wrote a year ago which it has now emerged had been updated a few weeks back? Actually scrub that: duplicity has already become an accepted practice in the current administration.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... urham-flit
"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools". Douglas Bader.
Catweazle

Post by Catweazle »

stumuz1 wrote:So, again cat, What law did he break
If you believe he had reasonable excuse then no law at all.

If you believe that he drove 60 miles to visit a tourist attraction with his family in order to protect his child, then no law at all.

If you believe it was reasonable to drive 260 miles to a bolt-hole with your wife who (although untested and hadn't seen a doctor) you believe might have a potentially fatal contagious disease, then no law at all.

In reality he did what thousands of other families would have done, but they didn't because they thought the law applied to them.
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

clv101 wrote:
Johnson isn't actually all that smart, and he knows it. May was an autocrat, but even she was crucially dependent on two key advisors (though it was they who led her astray with her "dementia tax"). She was lost once they were gone. Johnson has never been an autocrat. He's not a "details man". He's a showman and a talker, craves the power to take the ultimate decisions, but is not interested in doing the intellectual legwork required to gain a deep understanding of what is going on. He therefore needs trusted and competent advisors to do that thinking for him. There may be no replacement for Cummings who Johnson can trust.
Thefatcrofter

Post by Thefatcrofter »

Remember the case a couple of months ago where an elderly gentleman was killed in Wales by a guy with a crossbow? Relevant to this, as a core component of the conviction was obtained from data sent back to jag landrover from the rangerover used which showed time, location, when doors/boot were opened so even though the perpetrator in that case burned out the vehicle it was held at the manufacturer.
I wonder if the discovery does the same? Perhaps Durham police could use it to confirm Cummings claims? Then again maybe like his coronavirus claims it may be his stated movements were not quite as reported.
Also I dont recall any mention of police involvement for the baying mob referred to on here by some that drove him from his home.
I do agree the media behaviour at his house is hypocritical of them and they were not social distancing, then again I suppose the advice is now able to be 'interpreted' by individuals. So they could be reasonably interpreting it as if I dont get this picture I wont get paid I may lose my house/job seems reasonable that people would act to protect their families indeed a fatherly instinct.
Was I the only one to splutter when Boris went on about fatherly instinct? his is cut and run and how many kids do I have again?
UndercoverElephant

Post by UndercoverElephant »

clv101 wrote:
https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-j ... mmings-go/

In the view of one seasoned commentator, the editor of the Reaction website Iain Martin, Johnson is “psychologically dependent� on Cummings, although the pair’s connection seems perplexing at first glance, their personalities strikingly different.

But, those who know them both say, they are complementary. “As a big picture person, Boris needs a details man. And as a frontman, he needs an ops guy,� said another senior figure from the Vote Leave campaign, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to freely discuss former colleagues. “Dom fills this skill set better than anyone else in Westminster, making him nearly (but not completely) irreplaceable.�

Johnson, the former Vote Leave figure said, would be loath to part company with Cummings even in ordinary times. In the midst of the worst public health crisis for a century, a collapsing economy and the imminent end of the post-Brexit transition period, he’ll hold him ever more tightly.
Imagine if Cummings doesn't go. It will turn into gangrene.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

UndercoverElephant wrote:
clv101 wrote:
https://www.politico.eu/article/boris-j ... mmings-go/

In the view of one seasoned commentator, the editor of the Reaction website Iain Martin, Johnson is “psychologically dependent� on Cummings, although the pair’s connection seems perplexing at first glance, their personalities strikingly different.

But, those who know them both say, they are complementary. “As a big picture person, Boris needs a details man. And as a frontman, he needs an ops guy,� said another senior figure from the Vote Leave campaign, speaking on condition of anonymity in order to freely discuss former colleagues. “Dom fills this skill set better than anyone else in Westminster, making him nearly (but not completely) irreplaceable.�

Johnson, the former Vote Leave figure said, would be loath to part company with Cummings even in ordinary times. In the midst of the worst public health crisis for a century, a collapsing economy and the imminent end of the post-Brexit transition period, he’ll hold him ever more tightly.
Imagine if Cummings doesn't go. It will turn into gangrene.
Get real. The vendetta against Cummings is visible even through the msm. If Cummins can get rid of some whitehall scum/electoral + lords reform/media etc. then I want him around. Who else is going to do it?

These are the the sort of people we should be examining:

https://hat4uk.wordpress.com/2020/05/07 ... elligence/

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12- ... al-archive

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article ... gn-office/
stumuz1

Post by stumuz1 »

Catweazle wrote:
stumuz1 wrote:So, again cat, What law did he break
If you believe he had reasonable excuse then no law at all.

If you believe that he drove 60 miles to visit a tourist attraction with his family in order to protect his child, then no law at all.

If you believe it was reasonable to drive 260 miles to a bolt-hole with your wife who (although untested and hadn't seen a doctor) you believe might have a potentially fatal contagious disease, then no law at all.
OK, we will agree on this!
Catweazle wrote: In reality he did what thousands of other families would have done, but they didn't because they thought the law applied to them.
Again, I will agree on this.
However, a look at the reasonable excuses in the legislation, reveals that unlike Spain, France, etc, our lockdown was in name only. The exemptions were so wide it would not stop anyone going out if they wished.
What would trigger the rozzer's interest would be congregating in groups. Or traveling to Anglesey with surfboards on the roof of your car!!! And they wonder why they got fined :D