New coronavirus in/from China

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

User avatar
adam2
Site Admin
Posts: 8296
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: North Somerset

Post by adam2 »

Mean Mr Mustard II wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:Boris has NOT got pneumonia ...

Downing St, midday, 7/4/2020
That doesn't tally with his needing supplemental oxygen?
Oxygen is helpful if heart or lung function is impaired for any reason, not JUST for pneumonia.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
fuzzy
Posts: 1388
Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:08 pm
Location: The Marches, UK

Post by fuzzy »

A puff piece about Porton down answering all the Cv19 questions, with shocking poor proof reading. It even manages to spout some neoliberal guff about UK skills [without mentioning it's only in warfare]:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-heal ... -lockdown/
User avatar
Vortex2
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am
Location: Somewhere on reddit

Post by Vortex2 »

Mean Mr Mustard II wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:Boris has NOT got pneumonia ...

Downing St, midday, 7/4/2020
That doesn't tally with his needing supplemental oxygen?
No idea ...
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

Vortex2 wrote:
Mean Mr Mustard II wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:Boris has NOT got pneumonia ...

Downing St, midday, 7/4/2020
That doesn't tally with his needing supplemental oxygen?
No idea ...
That was three days ago. Things have changed.
User avatar
PS_RalphW
Posts: 5915
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: Cambridge

Post by PS_RalphW »

854 deaths reported in the last 24 hours, although this will include some delayed reports over the weekend. UK normal death rate is a little under 1500 a day, so now more than 1 in 3 deaths is covid related
User avatar
Vortex2
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am
Location: Somewhere on reddit

Post by Vortex2 »

Spain to introduce UBI (Universal Basic Income)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 49336.html

Good idea in the face of pandemics etc.

However it could provide a mega magnet for the world's poor.
User avatar
frank_begbie
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Cheshire

Post by frank_begbie »

Vortex2 wrote:Spain to introduce UBI (Universal Basic Income)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 49336.html

Good idea in the face of pandemics etc.

However it could provide a mega magnet for the world's poor.
So we'll ALL have to adopt it.
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
User avatar
Vortex2
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am
Location: Somewhere on reddit

Post by Vortex2 »

frank_begbie wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:Spain to introduce UBI (Universal Basic Income)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 49336.html

Good idea in the face of pandemics etc.

However it could provide a mega magnet for the world's poor.
So we'll ALL have to adopt it.
.. or we could invade and enslave Spain.

"UBI? Sure. How does zero Euros a day grab you?"
boisdevie
Posts: 460
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:48 pm
Location: N Lancashire

Post by boisdevie »

Little John wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:LBC programme ...

Listening to LBC .. many front line staff calling in.

* They are having a VERY rough time.

* Some have no/little PPE.

* Lots of younger people seem to be suffering ... one nurse said that the key factor is the size of viral load which infects you ... age can be a secondary factor. This is the reason why so many front line staff are getting ill and dying because they get massive viral exposures.

Almost all medical staff calling up are furious when they see families walking around, going in family groups to supermarkets etc. These people are causing needless deaths.

Of course these people who have a "valid" reason to not "stay at home" feel very justified in their actions.

My wife calls these people "selfish children".
People from the same household do not need to be separate. The mind numbingly obvious reason being they are not socially separated at home and so any cross infection between them is already inevitable. Thus, anyone who gets hot under the collar about seeing household groups outside not socially distancing from one another inside a group is an idiot. Sure, in a supermarket or other confined internal space, there is a reason for for social distancing even between household members due to becoming a potential obstacle for others to safely pass. But, that is all.

People need to calm down.
I get the impression that some sectors of the media would like anyone out taking a little too much exercise for their liking to be publicly flogged.
User avatar
Vortex2
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am
Location: Somewhere on reddit

Post by Vortex2 »

HMG data as at 7th April
As of 9am on 7 April, 266,694 tests have concluded across the UK, with 14,006 tests carried out on 6 April. Some individuals are tested more than once for clinical reasons.

213,181 people have been tested, of whom 55,242 tested positive. Today’s figure for people tested does not include Manchester and Leeds due to a data processing delay. The tests concluded figure excludes data from Northern Ireland.

As of 5pm on 6 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 6,159 have died.

Data on UK positive and negative tests and data on deaths is updated on this page daily at 2pm or shortly after. The figures for test results and for deaths are compiled from different sources. This is why the figures for deaths are reported from an earlier point in time than the figures for test results.
User avatar
Vortex2
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:29 am
Location: Somewhere on reddit

Post by Vortex2 »

User avatar
frank_begbie
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Cheshire

Post by frank_begbie »

boisdevie wrote:
Little John wrote:
Vortex2 wrote:LBC programme ...

Listening to LBC .. many front line staff calling in.

* They are having a VERY rough time.

* Some have no/little PPE.

* Lots of younger people seem to be suffering ... one nurse said that the key factor is the size of viral load which infects you ... age can be a secondary factor. This is the reason why so many front line staff are getting ill and dying because they get massive viral exposures.

Almost all medical staff calling up are furious when they see families walking around, going in family groups to supermarkets etc. These people are causing needless deaths.

Of course these people who have a "valid" reason to not "stay at home" feel very justified in their actions.

My wife calls these people "selfish children".
People from the same household do not need to be separate. The mind numbingly obvious reason being they are not socially separated at home and so any cross infection between them is already inevitable. Thus, anyone who gets hot under the collar about seeing household groups outside not socially distancing from one another inside a group is an idiot. Sure, in a supermarket or other confined internal space, there is a reason for for social distancing even between household members due to becoming a potential obstacle for others to safely pass. But, that is all.

People need to calm down.
I get the impression that some sectors of the media would like anyone out taking a little too much exercise for their liking to be publicly flogged.
To Be Fair, I find myself thinking, Didn't I see that Guy out earlier on?

I've never seen so many Joggers. I could have counted them on one hand before this Virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4bcuOBRLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPAuotjkM4&t=74s
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
Little John
Posts: 8777
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

frank_begbie wrote:
boisdevie wrote:
Little John wrote:People from the same household do not need to be separate. The mind numbingly obvious reason being they are not socially separated at home and so any cross infection between them is already inevitable. Thus, anyone who gets hot under the collar about seeing household groups outside not socially distancing from one another inside a group is an idiot. Sure, in a supermarket or other confined internal space, there is a reason for for social distancing even between household members due to becoming a potential obstacle for others to safely pass. But, that is all.

People need to calm down.
I get the impression that some sectors of the media would like anyone out taking a little too much exercise for their liking to be publicly flogged.
To Be Fair, I find myself thinking, Didn't I see that Guy out earlier on?

I've never seen so many Joggers. I could have counted them on one hand before this Virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR4bcuOBRLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqPAuotjkM4&t=74s
Well, so far as I am concerned, so long as people observe the social distancing rules, there should be some slack given in areas that are poor and/or urban/crowded.

I happen to be poor. But, I am also fantastically lucky enough to live in a tiny town/large village that has hundred of square miles of empty moorland and forest on one side and empty beaches on the other side of it and I also have an allotment to go to.

Lots of people live on a pittance of income bringing up families in tiny shitty little flats at the top of tower blocks in urban landscapes.
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

frank_begbie wrote:
I've never seen so many Joggers. I could have counted them on one hand before this Virus.
Before this those joggers were at work all day.
User avatar
BritDownUnder
Posts: 886
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:02 pm
Location: Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia

Post by BritDownUnder »

adam2 wrote:
fuzzy wrote:Anyone heard from Woodburner?
They are still a member, but advised in a PM that they no longer wish to contribute.
A great shame. I got to like their contrarian thoughts.
G'Day cobber!
Post Reply