Is the high street doomed ?

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

One day, DN65AF, someone will come for your job and you might have a different attitude then.

Regarding the Food Preparation Room, at one time we had a spate of spammers putting adds for Food Preparation furniture on the site and in order to save us Mods hours of work deleting the posts and the posters Adam came up with the ruse of automatically changing their ads to block them. Perhaps it might be time to see what happens if we reverse that decision. We could always change it back again, I suppose. Adam?

Regarding the evil corporation which doesn't pay any taxes and works its employees into the ground while on the minimum wage or, some would claim, less, it was my idea to remove their name so that they wouldn't receive any advertising on this website. If there was a majority which didn't give a toss about that company not paying any taxes and screwing us and its employees then I would have to agree to reverse the action. But if that decision were made I would probably come to the conclusion that I don't hold the same values as others on this site and I would do a "Biff" and disappear, albeit reluctantly.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
User avatar
adam2
Site Admin
Posts: 8296
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:49 pm
Location: North Somerset

Post by adam2 »

I THINK that the kitchen scammers might now be dead, perhaps lost in the fire, so yes you may now refer to a kitchen if you wish.
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
User avatar
careful_eugene
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Nottingham UK

Post by careful_eugene »

adam2 wrote:I THINK that the kitchen scammers might now be dead, perhaps lost in the fire, so yes you may now refer to a kitchen if you wish.
Great, my wife has been nagging me for a new kitchen, does anyone know where I might get a quality one cheap?
Paid up member of the Petite bourgeoisie
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

careful_eugene wrote:
adam2 wrote:I THINK that the kitchen scammers might now be dead, perhaps lost in the fire, so yes you may now refer to a kitchen if you wish.
Great, my wife has been nagging me for a new kitchen, does anyone know where I might get a quality one cheap?
Quality and cheap very seldom go together. :wink:
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

careful_eugene wrote:
adam2 wrote:I THINK that the kitchen scammers might now be dead, perhaps lost in the fire, so yes you may now refer to a kitchen if you wish.
Great, my wife has been nagging me for a new kitchen, does anyone know where I might get a quality one cheap?
You can usually get quality kitchens cheap on the second hand market but it is best to take them out yourself. Some people swap their kitchens like redecorating a room now so if you can get there before they're ripped out and skipped there are some good ones going for nowt quite often.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

The following is directly related to kitchens. But, meanders a bit before I get to it. So, please bear with it if you are interested. Or, pass it by if you are not....:)

My house has got an old 30 foot deep proper circular brick well in the back yard. It was filled with rubble and capped with concrete, according to my elderly neighbours who have lived here all their lives, about 10 years ago. But, they report it still had fresh water in the bottom of it at all times right up till then.

Meanwhile, not far up the way, is the next sreet along called "Springhead terrace". So, the clue is most definitely in the name there. It turns out, this entire patch of land on which our market place and adjacent streets is built on has underground (and not so underground) streams that all terminate at the bottom of a hill called "Dam End". Again, the clue is in the name.

The reason I mention all of this is because our back yard wall is 10 feet high, holding back 10 feet of land behind it, at the back and the land comes down to our level sharply on either side. The land behind, then continues to rise a bit for another 500 feet until the top of the market place.. At which point is goes back downhill on the other side.

The upshot of all of this is that our back yard is acting as a bit of a sump for the land behind it and to one side (where it rises even more steeply). This is, I suspect, why a well was always a viable water source for this house. However, with the well now filled in, the water has nowhere to drain to and just hangs around until it eventually drains away through the land.

One aspect of this is that, following very heavy rain, our back yard effectively "bleeds" water out of small fissures or holes in the walls or in the yard floor at the edges. This, in turn, hangs around our back wall of the house. Which is why I mentioned this. The back wall, due to all of this standing water, is permanently damp and so the internal plasterwork is buggered. I have been renovating this house over the last year or two and now, finally, have come to the last room of the ouse, the kitchen which is against 3/4 of the length of the back wall. of the house.

I have yet to settle on a final solution for definite. But, I am slowly heading in the following direction:

I am going to re-open and make good the well

I am going to crack through the concrete and dig a 3 foot deep and 2 foot wide french drain and fill with gravel, the length of the back yard (our yard is longer than it is wide because our house is two old terraced houses knocked into one. I am going to steer the drain so that it both drops slightly towards and terminates at the side of the well. Where, I will fit drain pipes that will allow what enters the french drain to spill over into the well.

If the well produces potable water (or water than can be made easily potable), then I will use it. Otherwise, I will allow it to fill to a certain point and then have it pumped out and into our actual drainage system. This can be easily automated with a ballcock affair.

In doing all of the above, I will have resolved most of the damp issues with the back kitchen wall. But, to belt and brace it all I am going to do the following in the kitchen itself (I told you I'd get there in the end...:));

Firstly, knock off all the internal render back to the brickwork and re-render with lime and lime-wash. I have done this elsewhere on the ground floor and it has completely got rid of rising damp. It's bloody magic, to be honest, and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Secondly, build the new kitchen base units sides out of brick with I will then lime render and lime-wash. Then, build the shelving, doors and worktop out of wood. but, all of these will be above ground level. The only things making direct contact with the walls and floor below worktop height will be the masonry side walls. All shelving and doors will have old fashioned 3cm diameter breathing holes at regular positions, so air can fully circulate.

The floor is going to be quarry tiles and quarry tiles skirting. Again, so there is nowhere that can act as a sponge/reservoir for damp.

Oh, and of course, a couple of adjustable air-bricks on the back wall.

That's it.

Sorry for the ramble folks. but, just writing this all down here has helped clarify my direction of travel on this.
User avatar
Potemkin Villager
Posts: 1309
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:58 am
Location: Narnia

Post by Potemkin Villager »

kenneal - lagger wrote:
careful_eugene wrote:
adam2 wrote:I THINK that the kitchen scammers might now be dead, perhaps lost in the fire, so yes you may now refer to a kitchen if you wish.
Great, my wife has been nagging me for a new kitchen, does anyone know where I might get a quality one cheap?
You can usually get quality kitchens cheap on the second hand market but it is best to take them out yourself. Some people swap their kitchens like redecorating a room now so if you can get there before they're ripped out and skipped there are some good ones going for nowt quite often.
Once again we must all be grateful to those folk who must buy the newest and latest. We acquired our complete set of kitchen units for about £30 off a kitchen fitter who had just removed them and replaced them with a £2,000 remodel. They had only been in situ for 3 or 4 years so kitchen units seem to depreciate even faster than cars!
The Stone Age represents 99.99% of mankind's existence on this planet. Francis Pryor
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

It sounds like you are sorting your walls out properly, LJ.

How far down is your water table? Does the land continue to slope off to the front of the house and, if so, how far? Rather than running your drainage into the well could you run a french drain down the side of the house and form a soakaway in the front garden? This would lower the water table along side the house, helping with the dampness in the wall, and help dry out the back garden/yard. If you used a perforated or slit pipe for the french drain you could have the openings at the top so that you would have a water channel to take the water away quicker.

I'm just thinking about usint the lie of the land to assist in the water removal because if you have to pump it your electricity bill could be quite large over the winter.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Little John
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

The house sits right onto the front street and also has no back garden (yet... we are negotiating to buy the land behind the back yard retaining wall). So, basically there is nowhere to drain the water other than into the drainage system.

One solution would be to run a drain from a few feet down the side of the well straight into the drainage system. My only worry with a direct connection like that would be if the drainage system ever overflowed/backed up and so contaminated the contents of the well.

Edit to add: mods, I understand if you want to split this off....
Last edited by Little John on Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Mr. Fox
Posts: 669
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Location: In the Dark - looking for my socks

Post by Mr. Fox »

Little John wrote:an old 30 foot deep proper circular brick well in the back yard. It was filled with rubble and capped with concrete...

I am going to re-open and make good the well...
I wouldn't want to put you off, LJ, but be sure that you don't underestimate the amount of stuff that's going to come out of the hole or how much of a nightmare it will be to move and get rid of - particularly if you don't have anywhere to place a skip. Do you know where the rubble came from?

Also worth remembering that the stuff that went down there was stuff that somebody probably thought would be down there for good (my area is riddled with old mine-shafts, some concealing such delights as stolen cars, dead dogs, entire commercial kitchen ranges and asbestos. :shock: )
Little John
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

Mr. Fox wrote:
Little John wrote:an old 30 foot deep proper circular brick well in the back yard. It was filled with rubble and capped with concrete...

I am going to re-open and make good the well...
I wouldn't want to put you off, LJ, but be sure that you don't underestimate the amount of stuff that's going to come out of the hole or how much of a nightmare it will be to move and get rid of - particularly if you don't have anywhere to place a skip. Do you know where the rubble came from?

Also worth remembering that the stuff that went down there was stuff that somebody probably thought would be down there for good (my area is riddled with old mine-shafts, some concealing such delights as stolen cars, dead dogs, entire commercial kitchen ranges and asbestos. :shock: )
This is true Mr Fox. What I am going to do is crack it open and start digging. It if looks innocuous, then I'll just keep going.

But, I am a few months off that anyway.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

Woodburner, I have been attacking your ideas and you, possibly because you cannot answer my points, have sought to turn that debate into a personal attack in order to deflect the criticism. This was something that Biff was a master at and was the main reason for the exasperation directed towards him.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
User avatar
emordnilap
Posts: 14636
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: here

Post by emordnilap »

woodburner wrote:So what if Biff was exasperating?
That was always my thought. If he made someone try harder to put their point across, then great.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

woodburner wrote:..... Instead of examining points of disagreement, it is unwillingness to accept anything other than what the global warming church preaches. Perish the thought that some of it could be inaccurate.

I’m probably wrong about many things, fine, I can always change my mind when the facts change.
I believe that if most of the world's climate change researchers agree on a set of theories, and they do, those theories are probably broadly correct. The consequences of them being correct are so horrendous that, even if they are only 60 or 70% correct, there is very good reason for doing something.

Hopefully, some of it on the worst side is inaccurate but unfortunately any inaccuracies have, on past form, been found to be underestimates of the later researched position. It is therefore fairly safe to assume that what they are saying now is an underestimate of the true position.

So, should I take any notice of your completely unqualified opinion, unless you have a qualification in a climate or other related scientific field which you haven't as yet disclosed? No. Should I shoot down in flames any of your unqualified opinions on climate change? I believe I should.

On what basis do I speak on climate change? I have a Post Graduate Diploma in Architecture: Advanced Environmental and Energy Studies which centred on Climate Change, research into it and remediation and adaptions to the problem. I have attended many lectures at the Energy Institute , part of University College, London, on Climate and related topics and lectures by people such as Sir Brian Hoskins, the first Director of the Grantham Institute for Climate Change at Imperial College London and Professor of Meteorology at Reading University. So I feel that I have an educated understanding of the subject.

Do I critique (or attack, as you seem to prefer) your ramblings on nutrition and health? No. Why? Because even though I have my doubts on much of what you say, I have not done sufficient research to discount it. Do I act on some of what you say? Yes, because some of what you say coincides with my researched thoughts.

Until you can give me any research by qualified researchers in the field of climate change, rather than just conspiracy theories by people in unrelated fields, to back up what you have to say on climate change I will continue to challenge your posts in the strongest manner possible.

That I regard as a scientific approach rather than assuming a consensus is a conspiracy.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
woodburner
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Post by woodburner »

That is not necessarily a scientific approach. Here is something for you to review
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
Post Reply