Is the high street doomed ?

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

User avatar
careful_eugene
Posts: 631
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:39 pm
Location: Nottingham UK

Post by careful_eugene »

but even if the shooter took his own life he did it because he could not continue on a rampage unmolested
You don't know that, he shot a girl he had previously been involved with then (maybe) took his own life.
Comparing two injured even if critically to seventeen dead plus numerous injuries as not saving the day is a bit disingenuous on your part.
I wasn't making a comparison but since you bring it up, there was an armed guard at the Florida school and in the heat of the moment he couldn't bring himself to enter the building and tackle the shooter. The answer to school shootings isn't more armed people.
We may have gone a little off topic here, apologies for that. I don't use self service checkouts either, I'd rather use a manned till and help keep someone in employment.
Paid up member of the Petite bourgeoisie
woodburner
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Post by woodburner »

Self service checkouts do not necessarily mean a job is lost. Someone had to make the equipment, someone had to install it, someone has to maintain it. There are many factors other than merely the job of the till operator to consider before claiming you are saving a job because you don’t use self service tills.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
User avatar
frank_begbie
Posts: 813
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:01 pm
Location: Cheshire

Post by frank_begbie »

adam2 wrote:Yesterday evening I was invited to an informal meeting of local traders, primarily to offer advice and suggestions regarding energy saving.

The other subject discussed was the decline of the traditional high street, one reason given for this being the great increase in shoplifting.

It was stated that theft of goods worth less than £100 has been decriminalised and is no longer an arrestable offence nor a matter for police investigation.
There was very considerable anger and ill feeling regarding this from several shop owners who have suffered repeated thefts, often committed by the same people.
Increasingly the thieves are said to make no effort to conceal the stealing, but simply walk out after helping themselves.

Any effort by the shop keeper to prevent the theft, or deny access to the thief, or to eject them from the premises, is likely to be regarded as an assault or false imprisonment, and DOES get a prompt police response.

There was a general view that the "system" was biased in favour of thieves and against traders.
I heard that on the radio a few days ago.

Shocking state of affairs.

Unfortunately I don't have the nerve to try it.

:lol:
"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man, brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

frank_begbie wrote:......

Unfortunately I don't have the nerve to try it.

:lol:
It would be a better idea to walk into the local nick, thieve something from them worth less than £100 and see what the reaction is then.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

woodburner wrote:Self service checkouts do not necessarily mean a job is lost. Someone had to make the equipment, someone had to install it, someone has to maintain it. There are many factors other than merely the job of the till operator to consider before claiming you are saving a job because you don’t use self service tills.
All those jobs have to be carried out on a manned till as well so losing the cashiers job is definitely a job lost.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
vtsnowedin
Posts: 6596
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:14 pm
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

Post by vtsnowedin »

I would think the shop owners,( I wanted to say "up in arms" but you don't have any),would be very upset and wondering what their property tax dollars that go to support the police department amount to if this is allowed to continue. Seems a very poor return on their investment. Also it is a shameful failure of the police departments that destroys centuries of reputation about their competence.
Little John
Posts: 8779
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:07 am
Location: UK

Post by Little John »

woodburner wrote:Sorry I forgot, you must be right as everyone who thinks differently must be a climate change denier. :roll:
He's right though woodburner. Losing a cashier job is a job lost. Their jobs are not merely being shunted to some other part of the sector.
woodburner
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Post by woodburner »

Really? Time for some evidence please.

From what I see, the self service tills are used for small quantities of goods, the trolleys full are still done by the cashiers.

With more small purchases going through self-service perhaps the quantity of goods shifted goes up, in which case the jobs might be shifted from tills to shelf filling. There are knock-on effects in there will be more work distributing, and producing.

If you have information that indicates it is solely a loss of jobs at tills, I would be interested to see it.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
User avatar
clv101
Site Admin
Posts: 8855
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:09 am
Contact:

Post by clv101 »

woodburner wrote:Really? Time for some evidence please.
The shops would only do it if it were profitable. Seeing as the people responsible for designing, building and maintaining the self service checkouts are certainly being paid more than the minimum wage of the manual till staff, for it too be profitable, a lot more till staff must lose their jobs to pay for the more expensive engineers.
woodburner wrote:From what I see, the self service tills are used for small quantities of goods, the trolleys full are still done by the cashiers.
In my local Tesco a lot of people, especially those with large shops use the hand held scanners where the shopping can be scanned and packed directly into your own bags in the trolly.
woodburner wrote:With more small purchases going through self-service perhaps the quantity of goods shifted goes up, in which case the jobs might be shifted from tills to shelf filling. There are knock-on effects in there will be more work distributing, and producing.
There's no evidence that self-service tills are increasing the about the goods sold. The shift from one large weekly shop to multiple smaller shops has been ongoing for a best part of two decades. Maybe self-service tills are a response to this consumer trend, not the driver.
raspberry-blower
Posts: 1868
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:26 am

Post by raspberry-blower »

frank_begbie wrote:
I heard that on the radio a few days ago.

Shocking state of affairs.

Unfortunately I don't have the nerve to try it.

:lol:
In Japan, there is a new genre of shoplifters: the elderly :shock:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools - Douglas Adams.
woodburner
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Post by woodburner »

Cv101, you appear to be confusing conjecture with evidence.
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

woodburner wrote:Sorry I forgot, you must be right as everyone who thinks differently must be a climate change denier. :roll:
Woodburner, you have a problem!!

And I've just red your strapline which is such a stupid statement I'm surprised that I hadn't noticed it before. Basically it's saying that if you've got a problem, and every one agrees that you have a problem, ignore it because you can't really have a problem. Ludicrous!!

If that's the basis of all your thought I'm afraid that, as far as I'm concerned, anything you say is now suspect.
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
woodburner
Posts: 4127
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Post by woodburner »

That just demonstrates that you are not necessarily taking a scientific approach. .

I find it amusing that you appear to now be taking one of the classic climate change traits of personal attack. As Gandi said “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.�
To become an extremist, hang around with people you agree with. Cass Sunstein
DN65AF
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun May 02, 2010 4:54 pm

Post by DN65AF »

I use the Tesco hand held self scanners every week to fill my trolley for the weekly groceries shop.
So walk round the shop scanning as I put the stuff in my bags, take the trolley to the self-scanner checkouts, pay via by CC and wheel it out to car and put the bags in the car: easy

The time saving is huge. Not having to take the shopping out on to the conveyor belt of the normal checkouts, having it scanned by the worker and then packing it back into your bags, not to mention any queue delays in the checkout. Added to which the process of emptying the bags onto the conveyor from the top and then putting it back in means the contents order is reversed. So the heavy item you put at the bottom of the trolly is scanned last and repacked onto the top of the rest already packed.

Every now and then I'm random checked - no problem
Every now and then I buy a restricted item such as matches and have to get my age confirmed as "obviously over xx" - again no problem.
Some items are security labelled and the scanner tells me this and to keep it aside for de-tagging at the checkout: again this is done by the staff quickly.

Introducing these hand held self scanners is the best thing the likes of Tescos and Waitrose locally have done for ages.
The local Sainsbury's megashop does not have them so I don't go there and they don't get my custom: tough.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin
Posts: 12605
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 am
Location: Newbury, Berkshire
Contact:

Post by kenneal - lagger »

woodburner wrote:That just demonstrates that you are not necessarily taking a scientific approach. .

I find it amusing that you appear to now be taking one of the classic climate change traits of personal attack. As Gandi said “First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.�
What is scientific about not believing the science on Global Warming because there is a consensus among scientists on it, which appears to be your attitude?

And why shouldn't I not believe anything you say when you espouse such an unscientific statement in your strapline?

I could say that you are now attacking me by saying that I am taking an unscientific approach. The approach I am taking is reading all that I can about climate science and attending lectures at The Energy Institute of UCL. This is one of the foremost academic institutions in the country and if they have all got it wrong we really are in trouble. But then you would seem to think that you know better than them and they must be wrong because they have a consensus in the matter.

What would you do if your non consensual theories on food and nutrition suddenly became the latest thing in science and every scientist in the realm came on board? Would you then reject all you had said before in the spirit of science because someone must disagree so that investigation can still be carried on?
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Post Reply