Another despicable American phenomenon for us to endure

Forum for general discussion of Peak Oil / Oil depletion; also covering related subjects

Moderator: Peak Moderation

3rdRock

Another despicable American phenomenon for us to endure

Post by 3rdRock »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30241459
Police have been called to supermarkets across the UK amid crowd surges as people hunt for "Black Friday" offers.

Greater Manchester Police appealed for calm after attending seven Tesco shops, at which three men were arrested and a woman was hit by a falling television.
:roll: Imagine the scene when it's life's essential items that the sheeple are fighting over.

The article goes on to say that the police were disappointed by the lack of security provided by the shops. :shock:

Whatever happened to common courtesy and personal responsibility? Animals!
biffvernon

Post by biffvernon »

To cause a revolution that collapses the global financial system without guns: stop shopping. I've not been shopping today. Yesterday I spent £2 in a charity shop on a second-hand book of poetry. Revolutionary behaviour.
PS_RalphW

Post by PS_RalphW »

This sort of behaviour (I haven't actually followed the link) is being actively encouraged almost as a right among the consuming public. It is clearly being hyped up to get people to spend more money by the media and their backers. It's just free advertising.

My experiences with my dud car were very negative - I was encouraged to complain to the manufacturer by the garage about the need to replace one particular part based on European sale of goods law, and I was slapped down for not showing enough brand loyalty.

I don't give a *** for brand loyalty. I do understand that modern cars are hopelessly over complex to expect them to work flawlessly for hundreds of thousand miles, even if the companies spend billions in advertising pretending exactly that, but I felt I was being dragged into the whole consume at all costs treadmill. ("Tell us you are a true believer and we will cut our profit margin to only 50%").

I am trying to provide a means of transport for my family that is affordable, enables them to live the life that society expects of them, and consumes a minimum of resources. I don't really care about much else.
emordnilap

Re: Another despicable American phenomenon for us to endure

Post by emordnilap »

Shortfall wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-30241459
Police have been called to supermarkets across the UK amid crowd surges as people hunt for "Black Friday" offers.

Greater Manchester Police appealed for calm after attending seven Tesco shops, at which three men were arrested and a woman was hit by a falling television.
:roll: Imagine the scene when it's life's essential items that the sheeple are fighting over.

The article goes on to say that the police were disappointed by the lack of security provided by the shops. :shock:

Whatever happened to common courtesy and personal responsibility? Animals!
The whole shopping frenzy - pick any date - is very, very silly.

I buy what I need, when I need it. And no tv to boot! Most people would find such a life unbearable. "What do you do all day?" "How do you cope?" These are genuine questions I've been asked. :lol: :lol:
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
Mean Mr Mustard

Post by Mean Mr Mustard »

PS_RalphW wrote: My experiences with my dud car were very negative - I was encouraged to complain to the manufacturer by the garage about the need to replace one particular part based on European sale of goods law, and I was slapped down for not showing enough brand loyalty.

Something to look up is Briskoda, a very useful forum for discussing common faults, and thus gaining leverage with Skoda UK.

I expect it's one of those Skodas I occasionally see about with the dealership insisting they have their logo emblazoned on the car?

If all else fails and there's nearby street parking (tall order for Cambridge, I know) maybe try this...?

http://consumerist.com/2009/06/03/range ... ealership/
:twisted:
1855 Advertisement for Kier's Rock Oil -
"Hurry, before this wonderful product is depleted from Nature’s laboratory."

The Future's so Bright, I gotta wear Night Vision Goggles...
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

biffvernon wrote:Yesterday I spent £2 in a charity shop on a second-hand book of poetry. Revolutionary behaviour.
:shock: Thankfully, for you, incitement is no longer an offence under common law. :wink:
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

It's not all bad news today. :wink: :)
Black Friday: Currys, Tesco, Argos, PC World and Boots websites crash in shopping frenzy
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 89225.html
Tarrel

Post by Tarrel »

http://storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-stuff/

Been around a while, but well worth a watch as an antidote to the "madness". Share with all your friends.
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
emordnilap

Post by emordnilap »

Tarrel wrote:http://storyofstuff.org/movies/story-of-stuff/

Been around a while, but well worth a watch as an antidote to the "madness". Share with all your friends.
Yup.
I experience pleasure and pains, and pursue goals in service of them, so I cannot reasonably deny the right of other sentient agents to do the same - Steven Pinker
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... y-shameful
Above all, it was weirdly shaming. I don’t want to see British people sprawling across floors, getting their heads trodden on, because some rude, pushy pillock fancies a snazzy new food processor. I don’t want to hear about them making till staff cry. Sometimes there’s footage from troubled countries of crowds of people desperately fighting to get to the front after an airdrop of food and provisions – for obvious reasons, they could be forgiven their temporary lack of cool. By contrast, Black Friday was a national embarrassment, akin to a retail feeding frenzy, with shops and customers surreally competing to be the biggest, baddest piranhas in the tank.
+1
nexus

Post by nexus »

+1 here too.

......but people who sell us crap want us to value ourselves and others by what we have and not who we are.

'The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity'- Rollo May.
Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never did and it never will. Frederick Douglass
boisdevie

Post by boisdevie »

If I bought recreational drugs on Friday does that mean that I'm just another mindless consumer?
3rdRock

Post by 3rdRock »

boisdevie wrote:If I bought recreational drugs on Friday does that mean that I'm just another mindless consumer?
Ouiap! Certainement. :wink:
Tarrel

Post by Tarrel »

boisdevie wrote:If I bought recreational drugs on Friday does that mean that I'm just another mindless consumer?
Well, not until you consume them! :D
Engage in geo-engineering. Plant a tree today.
RenewableCandy

Post by RenewableCandy »

It implies that you are the chancellor of the exchequer!
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time